Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still deciding between Hardwood floors or carpet....not sure.

But whatever I do, I need to find about about soundproofing materials.

My mom lives under me....and we have 3 young kids....so sometimes it drives her nuts, and I dont blame her.

Im going to put extra nails or screws on the plywood to stop these floors from sqeeking first. Whoever build this house 10 years ago....put nails every 16 inches, for plywood....so just imgaine. And thats besides the fact that these houses are already build like garbage. So thats first, any other opinions on plywood floor....sqeek elimination please let me know!!!

After that I would like to put down something that eliminates sound. Im not sure if this would only apply for carpeting or hardwood...or both.

If anyone has done this.....please educate me about the cost/effectivness/etc etc....

I really want to look into this!!!

TIA

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
943 Posts
I eliminated all squeaks when I installed my bamboo floors by using decking screws through the plywood into the joists wherever a squeak was noticed. I also went around and did general reinforcement throughout the installation area using these screws. Not a single squeak anywhere, and it's been close to a year since installation. I can't comment on the soundproofing material. If you are doing stairs, I'd recommend glue down installation there as it is next to impossible to eliminate squaeks on the stairs with nail down installation.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not doing the stairs.....

How about something for soundproofing???

How do you like your bamboo floors....

Do you buy it in stips...like hardwood? Or does it look like Prego?

Also how much would it cost me for 500-600 square feet?

Im still tring to decide...

·
Registered
943 Posts
The bamboo floors are absolutely awesome.... Very durable and bright. They come in tongue and groove planks just like oak or something else. This thread:
at fatwallet was what started it all for me:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=186005&highlight_key=y&keyword1=bamboo
It's a long one but I seem to recall a few posts in regards to where you can buy bamboo on the cheap. You'll find a lot of good information on general bamboo flooring issues and installation in that thread as well.
I did 1000 square feet for under $2k using westhollow bamboo from ifloor.com. I think it has gone up in price since then but not sure. The install really was a pices of cake, I can help you along the way, and perhaps loan you the pneumatic flooring stapler I used to do the job.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vitaminB5 said:
The bamboo floors are absolutely awesome.... Very durable and bright. They come in tongue and groove planks just like oak or something else. This thread:
at fatwallet was what started it all for me:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=186005&highlight_key=y&keyword1=bamboo
It's a long one but I seem to recall a few posts in regards to where you can buy bamboo on the cheap. You'll find a lot of good information on general bamboo flooring issues and installation in that thread as well.
I did 1000 square feet for under $2k using westhollow bamboo from ifloor.com. I think it has gone up in price since then but not sure. The install really was a pices of cake, I can help you along the way, and perhaps loan you the pneumatic flooring stapler I used to do the job.
I will check that out.....that sounds awesome.

Im still undecided and uneducated on Bamboo....havent had time to do research really.

But my main question is. Does it come thin 3" wide strips just like Hardwood floor. Can you refinish and how thick it is.

Hardwood floor I will expect to last forever....and refinish every couple of years. Heck I seen houses from 1800s that still have hardwood floors...I EXPECT THE SAME. Especially at that price...

If bamboo wont provide me that....and its more like Prego then Hardwood....I will stay away. Just by looking at some of the prices on bamboo...I can tell it already went up from last year....its almost as much as hardwood floors. So I dont know about that...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes it comes in 3.75 inch wide planks, tongue and groove fitment. You can refinish it somewhere between 6 and 10 times... read that thread and it will tell you everything you need to know. I have about 20 square feet left over... I can mail you a scrap plank if you want to see how it looks. Let me know.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you are looking to get rid of sqeeks and plan on using real wood and not a laminate you can put down over the plywood regular roof paper and before you lay the floor sprinkle a good amount of baby powder. This can also be done after the floor is installed to lessen future creaks.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
It's a major project, but adding another layer of drywall to the ceiling on the lower floor, with a framework of 1" hollow channels sandwiched between the existing and new drywall will go a long way in deadening sounds (other than the creaks). Even if you don't use the framework and just apply another layer of drywall to the ceiling will help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
since I work for a Lumber company and know a lot about floorings, there are products that free float on foam pads and the floor is actually glued together and since the 1/8 inch foam doesn't promote sound transference,(it creates a sound barrier) it is best to mechanically isolate floor components. Carpet has a similar effect but the hardwood on foam works better. These fllooring products come in real wood and inexpensice synthetics.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
speaking of....the person that has the condo above makes a thud noise when he or she walks...i think its cause this place was built in 1974. They are renters, but what would be the best solution to keep the noise down here? Ask them to put padding under their carpets or install insulation which will probably be costly?

·
Registered
551 Posts
DME - fire a shotgun up through the ceiling wherever and WHENEVER you hear the squeak... might take a couple tries, but the thudding should stop (for at least one of several reasons)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts