Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My Passat got water in it from the great storm series of 2023 here in California and I'm wondering what to do next.

The TCM got taken out completely, replaced it with a refurb I got on EBay for $50. Fixed THAT problem.

The airbag light has remained on though. Upon startup, all the usual lights come on for 5 seconds, then go out. But the airbag light immediately comes back on, followed by a beep and an "airbag fault" message on the red window after a minute or two.

I don't have a VAG reader as of yet, I've just used an OBDII reader, which shows no codes. (It did shoot up P1612 for the TCM, and that one's gone away).

So... questions...

1) Do you think getting a VAG reader would clear it?
(I've read a few threads saying you need a special cable and Ross Lite software I think it is? But would this even work considering it's flood damage and not deployment?)

2) I've seen a couple of ads for pull-it-out mail-it-in companies to clear the codes, though some say they won't take flooded units and some do. Is this even worth pursuing in my case?

3) Or should I just go ahead and buy a refurb? And if I do that, will I have to take it to a dealer anyway to get the codes cleared? Or would the setup in question 1 cover it?

Thanks so much!

(oh and I should probably add that this car is probably going to be replaced in the summer. I'm trying to squeeze a few more months of life out of it.

David

2000 VW PASSAT GLS B5
2.8L v6 SOHC
FWD
190,000 mi

· PassatWorld Elder
8,373 Posts
VCDS (VAG compatible) will clear air bag fault codes. However, as with any code if the problem isn't fixed it will pop back up again.
The usual air bag fault codes are igniter fault or short to ground.

FYI
There are air bag crash sensors located under the seats, if the CCM and or TCM got wet from water ingress, more than likely the crash sensor(s) would have been soaked with water also.

Reactions: Tomvw

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andreas!

So here's my last question... what happens (or could happen) if I do nothing? I'm guessing that driving around with a fault in the airbag system is probably not a good thing.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,109 Posts
Thanks Andreas!

So here's my last question... what happens (or could happen) if I do nothing? I'm guessing that driving around with a fault in the airbag system is probably not a good thing.
The consequence is that they will not work when you need them to.

Reactions: karnubawax
1 - 4 of 4 Posts