Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was driving home from a party Sunday night / Monday morning when I decided on saving $3.50 by taking the Brooklyn Bridge instead of the Battery Tunnel. :oops:

As I started to drive up Chambers Street all I saw were metal plates all over the place and before I knew it I hear a loud Bang! I immediately pull over cause I knew it was bad but little did I know how bad it would be. :nervous:

I get out the car and go over the passenger side where I see the tire is flat but as I start to investigate I notice the rim is really bent. :mad: So I head to the rear of the car in order to pull out my flimsy spare when I realize the rear wheel was affected by the pothole as well. :evil:

Thankfully I changed the front quick enough to where I was able to drive home 95% of the way before the rear tire finally gave out. But I spent most of yesterday changing back to my factory 16 "s while thinking to myself why I didn't just take the Tunnel. :roll:

Here are some pictures of the rims,
BTW I am using Imagestation so you know the deal. :roll: Copy the url if you would like to see

Fortunately, I am in the process of picking up some 18"s however, its unfortunate being I was going to eventually use these as my winter wheels.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yeah, I know how you feel because the same thing happened when I decide to go on 95 one morning instead of paying the tolls on the "shortcut" road to class last december: I witnessed an accident and the responding state po thought I was involved in it cuz he didn't ask me anything and said I had damage on my front end, then charged me with "following too close" and it wasn't till four days later that I was cleared of it because of one asshoel's idiocy. :mad: hope it all works out, NYDOT should have to pay for that, a friend of mine ruined a nice set of wheels on steel some road crew had dropped.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I can usually get Imagestation links to work, but those REALLY don't work. Might want to try again.

Sorry for what happend to your wheels, though! :sad:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rollininstyle2004 said:
That sux :roll:
I guess this gives you an excuse to get the 18's :poke:
Yeah the 18"s were coming now it looks like they just will have to be here sooner. My thing is I wonder how long I'll be able to keep them striaght. :roll:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AJChenMPH said:
Larry -- shoot me a PM with your email, I'll email you the claim form you can use to apply to the city for reimbursement.

Andy
PM sent. :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Larry...holy sh*t. Sorry man, that sucks! Where did you say it happened? I hate these roads, it's bad everywhere, they still have not fixed some of these streets from the snow storm we had too...ARGHHHHH!

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RL331 said:
Larry...holy sh*t. Sorry man, that sucks! Where did you say it happened? I hate these roads, it's bad everywhere, they still have not fixed some of these streets from the snow storm we had too...ARGHHHHH!
Ricky it happen right by BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College) :cry:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bulliboy said:
Dude, I'm sorry to hear this :( , but it sounds like you're ready to trade up any way, so maybe it's cool. They did look sharp though.
Yeah Kent, its a shame I really liked them and was going to keep them for winter use after this year. But now it looks like our rims will RIP. :(

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
WOW that's bad!!! sorry about that happening. what 18's are you looking at?

·
Registered
366 Posts
My friend had an incident where he was driving one guys Saab 9-3 with brand new 17" wheels. We were driving bunch of wedding quests from one place to another. It had rained alot in yesterday and in one of the intersections there was a pothole which the water had made. My friend drives to the intersection and over the hole. I'm driving behind him and I'm able to avoid the hole because I saw my friend driving in it. The impact was so loud I could hear it in to my car. Both right side tires blew up and both rims bent :shock: . The owner of the car obviously wasn't very happy, but when we started to investigate and wonder why did this happen, we saw that there wasn't a single warning sign or anything to mark the hole. The guy called the city administration and made a complain about it. Eventually the city paid for the new rims and tires :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
26 Participants
RL331
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing