Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call a short while ago ... my Aunt, while driving past Albany with her friend, had her Sportage flipped on the Northway (presumably).
Here's a brief synopsis: at around 7 am, they are driving back from Geneva, NY. While in the Capital District, there is some snow. She is in the left lane (knowing her, at a reasonable speed) and her friend reclines the seat to take a nap.
Now, she want to change lanes - and BINGO! - there is ice between the lanes. So the Kia hits the ice, heads for the guardrail, flips over, and rolls down the embankment.
I am very upset - I don't feel that I discouraged her enough from buying the thing in the first place. Had they been in her friends pickup (a 2wd Dakota), it may have slid sideways, but I highly doubt it would have flipped. Any way, the Kia landed on the drivers side, her g/f was okay (since she was sleeping) and she has several staples in her neck, terrible scarring, etc. But she's home....
I'm glad she is okay. But now, should I be happier with how the thing actually held up, or more upset at how easy it flipped?
I guess she will be getting another Saab (had three before the Kia) sooner than later.
Thanks for reading.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
redb5sdca said:
it is good everyone is ok, for a rollover with two walkaways in a kia I would be glad. things could be worse. glade everyones safe :)
Sure is, someone was looking after them two on that day..

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
That vehichle is EASILY the biggest POS sold in America in the last 10 years.

I know them, I've worked on them, I've driven them-absolute, pure and total SHITBOX.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
You imply that you tried to discourage her from buying it. You can only go so far on persuading someone what to or not to buy. In the end, the purchaser makes a decision. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

TDIBugman, this question is not aimed at you; it's more a rhetorical question: how does someone decide that a Kia Sportage is the right car for themselves after having driven three Saabs? I guess it's that whole SUV thing.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all!

Well, to say I have newfound respect for these things is an understatement. Sure, the quality aint the greatest but, as far as structural rigidity, WOW!

It spun after hitting some ice between the lanes. So at 55 mph (prevailing speed), it spun 360, sliding the passenger B-Pillar into a guardrail and a pile of snow. Then, it rolled twice, landing on the drivers side. Her g/f was STILL able to open the passenger door, and the right rear door opened, as well as the hatch.

All the glass was blown out (excpt the windscreen), and its totalled.

Shortly we head for the Saab dealer. BTW- the Kia was "cute and cheap", thats how it replaced her last, 300K mile Saab.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I hope...she gets a convertible.
I dunno, I could be wrong, but I'm thinkin' that someone who just came out of a rollover accident isn't likely to get a convertible as the immediate replacement vehicle.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sharky said:
That vehichle is EASILY the biggest POS sold in America in the last 10 years.

I know them, I've worked on them, I've driven them-absolute, pure and total SHITBOX.
Aside from a few bruises and minor scrapes everyone in the vehicle survived. :thumbup:
According to BUGMANS post, the cause was ice.
Now, can you please elaborate as to why you feel this way about this vehicle? :crazy: :???: :roll: :weirdo:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Elias said:
Aside from a few bruises and minor scrapes everyone in the vehicle survived. :thumbup:
Now, can you please elaborate as to why you feel this way about this vehicle? :crazy: :???: :roll: :weirdo:
Because once again, I have experience with this car. I can't think of ONE item on this vehichle which is at least average in quality. Everything from the exhaust to the front hubs to the entire wiring harness to the fuel senders to the interior quality to the engine refinement to the power to the the the the the the. It is JUNK.

Ice doesn't cause accidents, either. Not paying attention to the surface you're driving on does. Not knowing how your vehichle handles differing surfaces causes accidents. Driving an ill-handling topheavy shitbox on surface you're ignoring while also being unaware how your vehicle reacts to them causes accidents.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sharky said:
Elias said:
Because once again, I have experience with this car. I can't think of ONE item on this vehichle which is at least average in quality. Everything from the exhaust to the front hubs to the entire wiring harness to the fuel senders to the interior quality to the engine refinement to the power to the the the the the the. It is JUNK.

Ice doesn't cause accidents, either. Not paying attention to the surface you're driving on does. Not knowing how your vehichle handles differing surfaces causes accidents. Driving an ill-handling topheavy shitbox on surface you're ignoring while also being unaware how your vehicle reacts to them causes accidents.
Opinions aside, that thing had 60K miles put on it in two years, and nothing was ever replaced - not even brakes!
And yes, ice causes accidents .

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sorry Bugman :oops: , didn’t mean to hijack this thread, but… I get slightly twisted when those out there “have experience” with one particular vehicle or another and determine that it is “JUNK”.

IMHO its one hell of a vehicle when compared to others in its class. Aside from the Sidekick/Tracker it’s the only mini SUV that’s a real truck.! Its got a full frame, its motor was designed and built by Yamaha. Yes Yamaha!… the same outfit who designs and builds motors for Toyota. KIA has been building tough reliable and durable cars and trucks for years. Long before the US knew who KIA was. The company was known as KIAMASTER throughout the rest of the world. However their marketing division felt the name would not be acceptable in the us. Thus KIA…

There are those who conclude KIA’S 10/100 warranty is a gimmick to sell more cars. In truth, both KIA’s and Hyundai’s warranty costs have increased marginally in the first 60 months since the inception of the 10/100 warranty. Compared to VW/Audi/Mercedes/BMW and other manufacturers who’s vehicles are not considered “JUNK” KIA and Hyundai’s warranty losses are a fraction of the others. VW’s warranty costs have sky rocketed during the 10/100 period. VW states they “changed” their warranty to satisfy public demand. Get real, it was a reduction to stop the losses.

Perhaps a KIA isn’t the same ball park when it comes to quality of materials as more expensive vehicles, however one should not expect filet minion at the cost of hamburger :wink: .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have to agree with Sharky on this one, ice does not CAUSE accidents, people driving inappropriately on it does. 55 MPH on a highway with ice between lanes doesn't seem like the safest idea to me in any vehicle.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CB said:
Have to agree with Sharky on this one, ice does not CAUSE accidents, people driving inappropriately on it does. 55 MPH on a highway with ice between lanes doesn't seem like the safest idea to me in any vehicle.
I should have prefaced this with "black ice". She is no fool when driving (I qualify for that) after driving on almost every continent in every condition - and a damn fine offroader,too.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Elias said:
Perhaps a KIA isn’t the same ball park when it comes to quality of materials as more expensive vehicles, however one should not expect filet minion at the cost of hamburger :wink: .
No.

THIS Kia isn't in the ballpark. Not even the same sport. The Optima, Sedona, Sorrento, and to some extent even the Rio are good cars. The Sportage and Spectra/Sephia are JUNK JUNK JUNK. They were designed before Hyundai came along, and they are HORRID vehichles. There is NO reason on EARTH to buy the Sportage or Spectra.

And if you compare a Sportage to a Suzuki, it just shows how little you know about the Suzuki. It comes up short against the Suzuki, and it comes up short against even the car-based Utes. I wouldn't put my DOG in a Sportage.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sharky said:
Elias said:
No.

THIS Kia isn't in the ballpark. Not even the same sport. The Optima, Sedona, Sorrento, and to some extent even the Rio are good cars. The Sportage and Spectra/Sephia are JUNK JUNK JUNK. They were designed before Hyundai came along, and they are HORRID vehichles. There is NO reason on EARTH to buy the Sportage or Spectra.

And if you compare a Sportage to a Suzuki, it just shows how little you know about the Suzuki. It comes up short against the Suzuki, and it comes up short against even the car-based Utes. I wouldn't put my DOG in a Sportage.
To Sharky's point about it being an old design, he's absolutely right, the Sportage came out in 1994 and was discontinued in 2002 - making it an eight year old design by '02. 1994 was the timeframe when Hyundai/Kia were much more into making "inexpensive" vehicles and less concerned with reliability and safety - hence the mia culpa advertisements and 10 year warranties that they started around 1999.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts