Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Wett chip socketed to my ECU, and I was planning on taking my car to the dealership to check out a few things. If I put my stock chip back into the socket, and the dealership decides to "update" the code, will the socket let them do it? My understanding is that the socket just provides an easily interchangable connection between the chip and the rest of the ECU, so my guess would be that it would be ok. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
if they update your stock chip, who cares?? just put your 'better' chip back in after you get the car back.

simple. that's WHY you have a socket!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I get that, but I was just wondering if the socket would allow a reflash without throwing an error. I don't care if they change the stock chip...but I don't want them to think something's wrong in the process!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
GatorBlue said:
Yeah, I get that, but I was just wondering if the socket would allow a reflash without throwing an error. I don't care if they change the stock chip...but I don't want them to think something's wrong in the process!
if you can read the chip (you can since your car drives ok) then they can flash to it. the socket won't affect that, if that's all you are asking. unless the socket was installed with the write-enable line tied to ground or floating, or something. and that is installation-specific, I can't answer that.

ask your chip vendor if they wired ALL the lines from the board to the chip via the socket. they should know.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Stock flashes just fine. Lewisville VW flashed my wett socketed STOCK chip last week - no problem at all.

the socket connects all of the traces to the chip pins as if it was still on the board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts