Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there fellow B5 VW 1.8t owners. I have found a great alternative and relatively new tuning shop that is 1/3 the cost or more than its competitors. The Place is called ssptuning.com! The guy that did my tune is named Greg Lewsza. He is very friendly, answers all of your questions promptly, and is knowledgeable. They have different stages of tunes depending on your set-up. These guys are in New York, so this means you have to send your ECM to them or you can buy one from them with a $100 core charge. I opted for the stage 1 ECM (ECU, same thing) Flash, and sent my ECM to them. That saved me $100 right off the bat, because I didn’t have to come up with that money. He charged me $120 to flash my ECM plus I paid to ship it to New York for $8.00 or so, plus he paid the shipping return. He promised 35 to 45hp gains, and I got a bit more for my supporting mods.

My complete set-up is as follows as of now. Mechanical boost gauge: (from eBay, they work great) $20, Turbo xs Manual boost controller (in-line with my n75 valve) $59 plus tax from etremepsi.com, Turbo xs hybrid blow off valve (diverter valve) because I love the pshssst sound $139. (At first it was laggy and didn’t make the right sound and angered me. I didn’t think the stock diverter valve I took out was installed correctly, but I gave it the benefit of doubt. Turned out someone either from the factory or a noob along the way installed it backwards, turned it around and presto)! If you can only run a reticulated diverter valve, I would suggest an Audi TT 225 horse power diverter valve to make up for the extra boost for around $50. Sorry back to the mods: Last but not least a stage one tune from ssptuning.com! It is super torqie and burns my tires till third gear if I let it.

I am running 18psi currently, and use a Bluetooth app on my Smartphone along with a Bluetooth obdll scan tool. The app is called Torque pro. You can check to see just about anything going on with your ECM with the app. I use it to follow my air/fuel ratio, boost, temp, and horse power gains. On a 55 degree morning in third gear at 4627rpm I topped out at 228.1 Horse Power with this set-up! On average in the hotter points in the day I get about 200-210 horse power, which leaves me with an average horse power gain of 64 horse power! I recommend an aftermarket front mount intercooler to keep that cold air compressed and flowing through your Euro pony. Remember the colder the air, the more air your car gets to mix with the fuel for a larger explosion and that means more Horse Power! The real brain behind this new found power really is Greg Lewsza from ssptuning.com though. I would recommend this tune to anyone.

The car runs great for everyday and really goes when I hit the gas. Thanks ssptuning.com. Next on the list: New grippier tires, Stage 2 tune from ssptuning.com, K04 turbo (from and Audi TT), 60lb injectors, 255 liter per/hour Walbro fuel pump, and a mass air flow housing from an Audi TT 225 horse power. You can leave the stock fuel pressure regulator and the N75 valve. (I recommend a wide band gauge,and oil pressure gauge with this set-up). I will keep this build updated. So all in all so far I have $360 into the car for an average of 64hp gain. Not bad. (Remember my not so needed blow off valve was $139 out of that. I could have spent $50 instead). Thanks for the read! Cheers…

(Side note: I spell out all the things everyone abbreviates because noobs read this forum and don’t have a clue what you are talking about. I hated having to figure out what people where talking about and googling what I googled lol). screenshot.jpg :salute:

The 0-60 times are not accurate to this test because I was at a rolling start. The test was on my way to school, and didn't really go past 60mph but once, when I was doing the horse power test. I didn't do any 0-60 start to stop tests. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and for you guys wondering about fuel economy, I haven't noticed a difference in miles per/gallon. I guess if you keep your foot off the gas pedal, the miles per/gallon would be great! I don't think that is what you are looking for when modifying cars though:lol: It takes fuel to make more power, so if you are worried about fuel economy, you should not modify your car or get another daily driver for work and errands.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't know about your mods, but that app is useless.

The app shows Best time 15.4s for both 0-60mph and 0-100kph. 100kph = 62.14mph, therefore it would take longer to reach 100kph.
The app shows 1/4m Best time 92.0s and 1/8m Best time 16.5s, the 1/4m would be less than double the 1/8m.
The app shows 1/4m 47.2mph and 1/8m 67.1mph, The 1/4m would be a much higher speed than than the 1/8m.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right for what you are reading, but those times only record when you start from zero and make it to sixty, and so on. I wasn't looking for those times. I was on a rolling start from second gear to third for the Horse Power reading. I will do some of those tests for you when I get better tires if that make you happy.:poke:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it the pro app? I used to have a 95 eclipse gst(210 horse power) feels about the same right now. There is a huge difference right now from stock. I modded the bajesus out of my gst and ended up somewhere around 350 whp, so I am looking for that feeling, but still being able to put more than 2 people in the car and still be affordable. Back to the app, the information seems to match up with my gauges as well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I use this app. With my k04 pc16 it said I was only 180 hp and torque you ned the weight of ur car exact to get the rght numbers. I f uadd 500lbs to ur cars weight in the settings it will make it say more power

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
well... editted original comment. you should run it on a dyno to confirm the numbers. App makes me a lttle skeptical

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
There are a few things wrong with this:

- Break up the sentences into paragraphs, or include a TL;DR - that was painful.
- That app is obviously not right/calibrated. You want actual numbers, visit an actual dyno. I don't think anyone here will believe a random app. I can type in "800awhp" on the Notes app and show a screen shot, but it doesn't make it true.
- You don't need an upgraded fuel pump with a K04.
- There's a thread that lists the acroynyms we use. I think noobs should search and find it.

But on a more positive note, thanks for providing another alternative for tunes. I'm sure it will help others out in the quest cheaper tunes around the board, there have been a lot of options popping up that rid the tuning world of the monopoly the big names like APR and GIAC have on this platform.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I use this app. With my k04 pc16 it said I was only 180 hp and torque you ned the weight of ur car exact to get the rght numbers. I f uadd 500lbs to ur cars weight in the settings it will make it say more power
I have the cars profile set up like this on the app; profile name passat, engine displacement 1.8 liters, total vehicle weight, including driver 4308lbs (im 170lbs), fuel type petrol, fuel tank capacity 16.4 us gallons, fuel level, psi 18lbs, max dial rpm 7000, volumetric efficiency% 85.0, fuel cost $4.07/gallon. Is your car tuned to run a k04 turbo? If not you will not get the full potential out of it, and larger injectors should be used to mix with all that extra hp, you could be running a bit lean and that is no good, but im sure you know that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a few things wrong with this:

- Break up the sentences into paragraphs, or include a TL;DR - that was painful.
- That app is obviously not right/calibrated. You want actual numbers, visit an actual dyno. I don't think anyone here will believe a random app. I can type in "800awhp" on the Notes app and show a screen shot, but it doesn't make it true.
- You don't need an upgraded fuel pump with a K04.
- There's a thread that lists the acroynyms we use. I think noobs should search and find it.

But on a more positive note, thanks for providing another alternative for tunes. I'm sure it will help others out in the quest cheaper tunes around the board, there have been a lot of options popping up that rid the tuning world of the monopoly the big names like APR and GIAC have on this platform.
Non acroynyms is my style. If you get larger injectors you should get a larger fuel pump in my opinion, to get the full potential out of the injectors, look it up.:) oh and I didn't modify the text on the app. I just put this thread up to help people and let them know this option works...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well... editted original comment. you should run it on a dyno to confirm the numbers. App makes me a lttle skeptical
I will look into getting on a real dyno to show some numbers. Maybe I jumped the gun on this thread haha. The car is much faster than stock so I do have hope for it:lol:

·
7,322 Posts
If you get larger injectors you should get a larger fuel pump in my opinion, to get the full potential out of the injectors, look it up
Ha I don't need to look it up. Larger injectors does not mean a larger fuel pump is required. People pushed 350+whp on stock fuel pump. The limit is the flow rate of the injectors, not the pump. And certainly not for a little K04. I planned my BT build with a 2871r and 630cc injectors, and had absolutely no concerns about upgrading fuel pump.

But your car, use your money however you want.

EDIT: here's a link where big turbo folk discuss the fuel pump limits, and if GTRS or GT2871r turbos with 440-630 tunes don't max out the pump, your TT injectors and K04 certainly won't.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...bt-440cc-software-thinking-switching-apr.html

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
A number of warning bells went off in my head after reading the OP's thread.

1) How can you have a dyno tune and not have power figures from the vendor? How would they not know exactly what their tune does?

2) This seemed odd to me, so I did bit of research and came across this thread: Anti SSP Tuning Thread

I don't claim to have any experience with said company, but this thread makes sense to me when you take all things into account.

I hope that this ends up being a legitimate company/tune, but as it stands I can't find any reviews of the tune, their company website doesn't list any dyno charts/power figures, they have negative threads such as above that claim they are disreputable, and lastly the price seems suspiciously low. For any prospective buyers, I would be quite wary. It may be significantly cheaper than the bigger companies, but as I always say, if it's cheaper there is probably a reason for that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha I don't need to look it up. Larger injectors does not mean a larger fuel pump is required. People pushed 350+whp on stock fuel pump. The limit is the flow rate of the injectors, not the pump. And certainly not for a little K04. I planned my BT build with a 2871r and 630cc injectors, and had absolutely no concerns about upgrading fuel pump.

But your car, use your money however you want.

EDIT: here's a link where big turbo folk discuss the fuel pump limits, and if GTRS or GT2871r turbos with 440-630 tunes don't max out the pump, your TT injectors and K04 certainly won't.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...bt-440cc-software-thinking-switching-apr.html
Hmm well maybe I will look into that, because you seem passionate about the matter. This thread isn't about my next endevor, but thanks for the advice. On other cars I have modded, it was advised to get a larger fuel pump. My last set-up had 750cc injectors ,and a larger turbo so maybe that is why. If I don't need a new fuel pump I won't buy it lol.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
The amount of fueling required is determined by the mass airflow going into the engine and the load it's under. You could put in 10,000cc injectors and a Saturn V fuel pump if you want but that doesn't change the amount of fuel required for optimum operation. Matter of fact, going too far oversized will make it harder to get accurate control and atomization. More fuel isn't better. The correct amount of fuel is better. A K04 isn't going to out-flow the stock fueling system. There is enough head-room in that system to accommodate a K04 upgrade.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A number of warning bells went off in my head after reading the OP's thread.

1) How can you have a dyno tune and not have power figures from the vendor? How would they not know exactly what their tune does?

2) This seemed odd to me, so I did bit of research and came across this thread: Anti SSP Tuning Thread

I don't claim to have any experience with said company, but this thread makes sense to me when you take all things into account.

I hope that this ends up being a legitimate company/tune, but as it stands I can't find any reviews of the tune, their company website doesn't list any dyno charts/power figures, they have negative threads such as above that claim they are disreputable, and lastly the price seems suspiciously low. For any prospective buyers, I would be quite wary. It may be significantly cheaper than the bigger companies, but as I always say, if it's cheaper there is probably a reason for that...
It made me a bit wary as well at first. The company is newer and I took a chance sending my ECM to them. Greg kept in contact with me with the mods and sent the ecm back to me promptly. The whole transaction was about three days because one of the days was Sunday. Here is your first review of how the company has made someones day. As for the negative threads you have found, everyone always has something bad to say about something. Nothing is perfect in this world, except maybe Adrianna Lima haha. Just look at your comment and read through the threads. Everything has a starting place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The amount of fueling required is determined by the mass airflow going into the engine and the load it's under. You could put in 10,000cc injectors and a Saturn V fuel pump if you want but that doesn't change the amount of fuel required for optimum operation. Matter of fact, going too far oversized will make it harder to get accurate control and atomization. More fuel isn't better. The correct amount of fuel is better. A K04 isn't going to out-flow the stock fueling system. There is enough head-room in that system to accommodate a K04 upgrade.
Thanks for the insight. Why do they make larger fuel pumps, and afpr if they are not needed? Keep in mind I may go with a bigger turbo if your stuck on the k04. Have you myth busted the theory of a larger fuel pump and afpr, or is this geared towards a K04 small turbo in general? To be clear for others reading the thread.

·
7,322 Posts
You need a larger fuel pump when you have a big enough turbo (30 series or higher I'd imagine) that flows so much air that you need more fuel than the fuel pump can provide. At some point, it cuts out. They're necessary with larger turbos, but certainly not a K04.

Also I'm not passionate. Just don't like when people tell me to look something up when they're the ones who did not do all the research for a big turbo build on a platform with a 1.8T.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts