Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took the manifold off, to polish it....i wound up painting the runners and everything black and polishing just the top part....ok no problem....i had a PowerGasket, it was for an AEB motor i have an AWM......it was a little off on the mounting holes, but everything else seemed to line up....so i put the gasket on, put the manifold back on....and the gasket was poking out of the sides a little, wasnt COMPLETELY FLUSH with the flange of the manifold....didnt think it was a big deal....put everythign back together....start it up....idled rough and turned off....did it 2 more times same shit.....so i called my buddy whos a dodge tech....started it for him, hes liek WHOA, ur shootin flames....ok so we look around....and noticed the gasket was pokign out and we saw it had some gas on it, so we popped it off, put the stock one back on....and SAME THING shooting flames......IM STUMPED:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

any1 have some ideas for me? thanx guys

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm i tried some searching....i had my friend read the DYI intake gasket on here since it kicks me off everytime i open that damn page.....one mistake we noticed we made.......We didnt tighten them to the TQ SPECS and we went from one end to the other.....not going from inside OUT.....so im thinking.....if this doesnt have an EXACT SEAL, would it really cause it to shoot flames?...

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
reason aside... it's flaming, because it's leaking. Given. It's leaking because it's not flat any more. Why it's not flat is not so important (treatment while it was off or how you torqued it... you can fix both/either). Flatten the manifold face (or find someone who can), and torque it the correct way.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agh some answers...thank you...yeah im gonan try torquin them all the way all evenyl since its back on already....if it doesnt work, ill pop it back off again and try to flatten the face of it, thanx tho for the response, i appreciate it

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but even still....it did the same thing when i put the stock gasket back in....so APPARENTLY its not the GASKET itself......but im gonan RETIGHTEN THEM and go from there evenly at i believe i read 7lbs

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Hope it holds. If it got too hot with the wrong gasket and non-torqued bolts, it may have warped something - hope it didn't.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rusty hopefulyl u can answer this REAL QUICK FOR ME....sinc eim runnign from the garage to up in my room to type......i TQd them down with my TQ wrench....only thing is i dont have anything under 20 ftlbs...so again i has to eyeball the TQ of the bolts......so i started it, and SAME THING happened again......i went to go loosen the bolts to take the manifold off....SOME bolts were liek hand loose....and that was happening last time time, kept coming loose.....i mean im trying NOT to OVER TIGHTEN them, so i dotn strip or warp anything.....but i mean they just KEEP coming loose after i crank over the motor.....it turns over has a HIGH IDLE from beign cold and sitting there for a month.....so i think its gonna run, then i guess the bolts come loose and shoots flames then turns off....so im gonan go get a new gasket, but i dont wanna buy one and then it not work again im going to be pissed, lol......but think i should get the new gasket, then tighten em down even more?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Woah! How do you get flames out of the intake manifold? There's no combustion going on in there - just fuel vapor plus (relatively) cool intake air. Is it "backpressure" at the end of the exhaust stroke, as the intake valves crack open? :confused:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Authenticustomz said:
rusty hopefulyl u can answer this REAL QUICK FOR ME....sinc eim runnign from the garage to up in my room to type......i TQd them down with my TQ wrench....only thing is i dont have anything under 20 ftlbs...so again i has to eyeball the TQ of the bolts......so i started it, and SAME THING happened again......i went to go loosen the bolts to take the manifold off....SOME bolts were liek hand loose....and that was happening last time time, kept coming loose.....i mean im trying NOT to OVER TIGHTEN them, so i dotn strip or warp anything.....but i mean they just KEEP coming loose after i crank over the motor.....it turns over has a HIGH IDLE from beign cold and sitting there for a month.....so i think its gonna run, then i guess the bolts come loose and shoots flames then turns off....so im gonan go get a new gasket, but i dont wanna buy one and then it not work again im going to be pissed, lol......but think i should get the new gasket, then tighten em down even more?
Intake mani bolts - and most fasteners on the car, use "dry torque" figures. If your bolts or bolt holes have fluid in them, this can lead to over-torquing, which could cause the mani to leak even if everything is tight. (It doesn't explain how your bolts were loose, though.) I think at this point you need a new gasket anyway - maybe you ought to swing by the dealer and get two, just in case. Get/borrow a smaller torque wrench, too. Clean and dry your bolts thoroughly, and the bolt holes. Then start from the beginning again.

It does seem odd that you're getting flames... I would not expect that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rusty said:
Clean and dry your bolts thoroughly, and the bolt holes. Then start from the beginning again.
Fluid in the bolt holes may result in the bolts hydraulic-locking on the fluid while being torqued. They would then be loose after a small amount of fluid seeped out. So your suggestion of drying out the bolt holes is doubly important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts