Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

FK Automotive Angel Eye Headlights - What bulbs to use & wheres the LHD/RHD lever?

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  raptor1056 
#1 · (Edited)
FK Automotive Angel Eye Headlights - What bulbs to use & wheres the LHD/RHD lever?

Hi all,
So many questions that the 3 page 'manual' that came with the lights doesn't address :)
With FK Angel Eye headlights, what bulbs did everyone use?
My original stock headlight bulbs where H1s for the full beam and H7s for the dipped beams.
The FKs will take the H7 for the dipped beams, but won't take the H1s as the connector in the FKs has the two connections, and the H1 has only one connector on the back of it, expecting the other lead to be connected to the light holder.
An automotive store just told me to use H7s for both the full beam and dipped beam. Don't think this is right.
So if yea have FK angel eye lights, what bulbs are you using :confused: Wanna get the lights refocused asap so want the correct bulbs installed.

Also, anyone find the LHD/RHD lever in the headlight?
I also have a moisture problem in mine, guess I will be out someday with a hairdryer to get rid of the moisture and make sure the back caps have a good seal.

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

K.

See less See more
#4 ·
AntWrig: Nop, they are good, its kinda my fault for not storing them in a warm place before installing them. Just get a hairdryer and heat the inside of them up then replace the sealing cap, should be fine then.

raptor1056: Umm, thats what I have now. Sure after I get them realigned/focused I will know what they are like. Thanks for your feedback though.

#6 ·
kerbdog said:
Also, anyone find the LHD/RHD lever in the headlight?
The LHD/RHD "lever" is actually the beam cut off plate inside the headlight. You change the orintation for LHD or RHD.
My headlights had a sticker on the outside showing how the plate should align for LHD/RHD.

And confirming what people posted above both hi & lo beams are H7.

:thumbup: to FK Angel Eyes

#9 ·
Kosmas said:
The LHD/RHD "lever" is actually the beam cut off plate inside the headlight. You change the orintation for LHD or RHD.
My headlights had a sticker on the outside showing how the plate should align for LHD/RHD.

And confirming what people posted above both hi & lo beams are H7.

:thumbup: to FK Angel Eyes
So how would I move the plate up and down? Is there suppost to be some kind of a lever inside the headlight that you are suppost to move? Or is it those metal rods that first were installed in the headlights when they came from the factory?

#10 ·
The plate doesnt move up or down - you unscrew and flip it over for RHD/LHD. It shapes the beam to favour left or right hand side.

If you're refering to leveling the lights up/down from inside the car, the motor that came in my stock headlights transfered directly onto the FK Headlights.

#11 ·
Kosmas said:
The plate doesnt move up or down - you unscrew and flip it over for RHD/LHD. It shapes the beam to favour left or right hand side.

If you're refering to leveling the lights up/down from inside the car, the motor that came in my stock headlights transfered directly onto the FK Headlights.
I am talking about the first paragraph of your answer. So where is this screw on the drivers side headlight? It's inside it right, probably somewhere on the back of the projector?

#13 ·
hey im havein a problem with my angel eyes.... they aren't working at all... can some one help me out? i hooked up the harness just like the direction said to.... i have no idea whats up with it... my driver side headlight harness only had one grey wire so i could only pulg up one side... can anyone help me out please...

#14 ·
#15 ·
thanks raptor1056, i need to practice my searching a bit, sorry about that, but from the first thread you posted i think i know whats wrong, when i reused one of my H7s i think me or my friend might have touched the bulb and if im not mistaken a little bit of oil on them will cause them to burn out, so im missing one of my highbeam lights, i think if i replace it without touching the bulb they should work.. thanks again

#16 ·
tstandsforturbo said:
thanks raptor1056, i need to practice my searching a bit, sorry about that, but from the first thread you posted i think i know whats wrong, when i reused one of my H7s i think me or my friend might have touched the bulb and if im not mistaken a little bit of oil on them will cause them to burn out, so im missing one of my highbeam lights, i think if i replace it without touching the bulb they should work.. thanks again
Sorry. Didn't mean to seem antisocial or anything. Just didn't want you getting flamed by the "old-timers". That should hopefully work for ya. I didn't even have to splice into any wires, just move the pins around, like in the second post. I did that in about five mins. If you have long enough fingernails, you don't even need any tools. Otherwise, you'll need a small flathead screwdriver.

#18 ·
tstandsforturbo said:
Well, when I was installing the headlights last week, my angel eyes were not working at all either at first. So I moved the fog light wire from the fog light position to the city light position in the headlight wiring harnesses and the angel eyes still didn't work. So I was missing both high beam bulbs and came to the conclusion that if I installed the bulbs in the high beam housing, that the angel eyes should finally work. As soon as I installed one bulb in the high beam housing, both angel eyes lit up. So I can't see how if one of your bulbs are burnt out and the other one works fine, you still can't get your angel eyes to work! In my experience, that's impossible, there must be something you haven't done yet in order to get the angel eyes to work!

P.S. - Yes the wirring harness that came with the headlights from FK is suppost to only be connected to one connector on the drivers side headlght, the other wire is mean't to not be installed to anything, so just leave it hanging there. On the passenger side however, you must install both of the wires.

#20 ·
tstandsforturbo said:
its all gravey,bradda.. so you suggest changeing the bulb and trying the pin relocation? or do you think its just the bulb? i dont have any DRL mods and i have a euro switch if that helps...
You HAVE to do the pin relocation. If you look at the pin locations in the harnesses, they don't match up. Use that second link I posted, and look at the pic that mrgreek2002 posted about halfway down. You might still need to replace that bulb, if one of your highbeams doesn't work. Preventative Maintenance, as we say in the Military.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.