Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been dealing with water getting into the car whenever we have a serious rain. Ive actually seen the water running down the inner trim on the passenger front while driving so I know at least that 1 is leaking. I noticed were carpet on the driver's rear this week as well, thought he driver's front and the rest of the car seemed fine. From what I found, best way is to clean the door drains (do I need to remove window regulator for this? I assume the drains are only accessible from inside the door panel itself?) and to remove the bolts on the regulator, and seal with caulk and then bolt it back down. Do I need to remove the window to do the reseal? Or can I just seal around the regulator without removing it?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
To get real access to the 'inner door' and drain holes the window regulator panel will need to be removed. And it's a pain. I've done a few. What makes it difficult, is remove the plastic pin that secures the window the to the regulator bracket.
The first one I did I actually broke the window. Now my standard procedure is drilling out the plastic pin. I have a supply of spares in my tool box.
The windows itself can stay in the door while doing all the work needed to clean-up the door drains and new seal on the regulator panel.

Might want to make the rubber 'squeegees' along the top of the door window opening or in good order.
I did the reseal on my 1998 GLS and it still leaked water through the speaker opening. Replacing the hard cracked, crumbly piece that wipes the outside of the window was the ultimate solution to my particular issue.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
If you have an aftermarket speaker, take it out and see if you can snake a shop vac hose and crevice tool into the bottom of the door. My Mom's Five Hundred doors had about 2 cups of water or more in each door. Luckily, they cleared just by poking into the drain holes at the bottom until it cleared out.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Was hoping to not have to deal with the regulator but doesn't sound like I'll be that lucky. I'll check out the seals on the glass as well (are those available from dealer as a separate item?). Factory Monsoon speakers so don't think I'll have that luxury. Have to pull the panel this week on driver's door to change mirror so I guess I'll take a look at it then.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Forgot to mention about browsing YouTube for helpful hints on the rear window regulator. It's certainly a different animal than the front ones.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rear+window+regulator+removal+b5.5+passat

One of the videos in that list the guy tries to pull out the plastic pin and gets stopped cold in his tracks. The pin isn't coming out anytime soon.
I had to laugh, guy probably thought the same as me, how hard can it be? Yeah well...

·
Registered
926 Posts
While water can certainly enter through the doors if the seals or drain holes are plugged, water on the floor is more commonly caused by plugged drains either in the area between the two firewalls below the battery and brake booster, or from plugged sunroof drain lines within the "A" pillars.

You'll find many threads on this board about cleaning those. I'd be especially suspicious about the driver's side of the car receiving water from these sources, as you don't report having seen wet door panels on that side.

David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2001 Passat GLS 2000-2018
2019 Jetta S 2018-

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only place I've seen water on the driver's side would be in the rear and below the driver's seat. Forgot to mention I have a wagon with no sunroof so the drains shouldn't exist. Remembered those from my last Passat.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Only place I've seen water on the driver's side would be in the rear and below the driver's seat. Forgot to mention I have a wagon with no sunroof so the drains shouldn't exist. Remembered those from my last Passat.
Yes, the sunroof drains won't exist on your car. But the air plenum drains (under the battery and brake booster) will be there, and water ingress there can run from front to back without being seen on the way.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Was hoping to not have to deal with the regulator but doesn't sound like I'll be that lucky. I'll check out the seals on the glass as well (are those available from dealer as a separate item?). Factory Monsoon speakers so don't think I'll have that luxury. Have to pull the panel this week on driver's door to change mirror so I guess I'll take a look at it then.
If it were me, as a test, I would confirm by:

1. Wipe the door "sill", clean and dry (metal surface, and friction stepping plate, on chassis, below door, when closed)
2. Put a dry towel down just inside the door (in case it comes over the door sill)
3. Close door and pour several large cups of water (or hose) down the outside of the closed window
4. Open door and see if there is any residual water sitting on the sill and/or absorbed in the towel - that's where I first noticed that my door seals were leaking (little puddles on the sill)
5. Repeat if no water is seen, until convinced one way or the other. A slow leak, or leak higher up the door seal, can take time/volume to eventually show up

Just my two cents. Hate dealing with those doors, so I empathize.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If it was the battery/cowl overflowing into the cabin, I would think all along the (way) front of the driver's and passenger's side carpet would be moist. But, as dbrick pointed out, water has mysterious ways of migrating. You could always test pour water into the cowl too, and make sure the drain rate is adequate. I'd clean that area, thoroughly, regardless, especially if you park outdoors frequently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts