Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes B5.5 (2001 1.8T) had a CEL yesterday on her way home from work. No alarm, not blinking. Engine seemed to be running fine. When I got home I hooked up the VAG-COM and got the following codes:

17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add) : System too Lean
P1136 - 35-00 - -

Could the charge pressure control valve be causing the additional codes? Has anyone replaced this part themselves before? It doesn't look difficult in the Bently Manual other than it might be hard to gain access to the part in the engine bay.

Any insight would really be helpful!

· Registered
5,861 Posts
You have a vacuum leak, probably more than one. Check the info forum for a writeup on vacuum hoses and also for a writeup on "L" hoses (two more vacuum hoses, with an elbow in the middle). The good news is that you can fix this for about $20 and a few hours of your time.

It's probably not the N75 that is causing the trouble. Fix the vacuum lines and "L" hoses first.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have replace the vac hoses on her car about a month ago. I will check them all to make sure nothing has come loose. I will also check the "L" hoses this evening.

Anyone have any other things I should look at?

Oh, I should also say that I cleared the codes and they did not come back on her ride into work this morning.

· Registered
5,861 Posts
Maybe they were old, from before the vacuum line repair? It takes about 40 starts before the ecu clears the codes on its own.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunatly the ECU was clear of codes when I did the vac line replacement. I checked just to make sure. The replacement was preventative as I didn't see any leaks. I had the hose and clamps since I had done my B5 so I figured I would go ahead and do her car too.

Sharky, do you have any idea about this one?

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just shy of 100K. MAF was replaced at about 85K. All stock. Will have to get back to you on the block 2 log. She is in Virginia at work and I am in Maryland. :wink:

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi all -- IMNewtman's wife here. Car acted up when trying to head home from VA yesterday (very rough start, engine indicator light started blinking before staying on constant). I deemed it unsafe to drive home based on distance, took it to the local dealer in VA for diagnostic last night.

They just called and said the vacuum hose/pipe (they called it a pipe, said it was what the hoses are attached to) was completely split, which threw a bunch of error codes. Cost of part is $20. IMNewtman and I chatted about it, opted to have dealer go ahead and fix this time since I already had to pay for diagnostic and the work required less than an hour at the dealership. But will be bringing the bad part home to see what it looked like.

Thanks for all the info -- you all hit the nail on the head!! :D

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a picture of the hose. Too bad the car never made it home for me to look at, it was pretty obvious once you started looking. This is the hose that is behind and on the right hand side of the manifold.

Anyway, Redhead reports that the car is running just fine now. I think I may go ahead and replace this hose on my car too. Should be about a 5-10 minute job. The part number, if interested, is 058-133-783L.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Atomicalex. I have to say that once I saw the hose, I really wish I had had a chance to look at the car - probably could have saved a few bucks. But after I scanned the ECU that first evening - It was kind of late in the evening. I didn't see the car again until it was fixed.
In any case, the car is fixed and the wife is happy. And as everyone knows, if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :lol:

· Registered
5,861 Posts
It's the misfires in 2 and 3 along with the lean condition are typical of a split in this hose... It plugs in to the manifold between cyls 2 and 3. Glad you found the trouble and it's getting fixed :thumbup:

The part shown above is 058-133-783-L. The improved replacement part is 058-133-783-BC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.