Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a couple of hours yesterday under the Passat to replace my leaking coolant clamps. The upper hose was the culprit but to get to it, I had to remove the bracket that ties the engine to one of the front motor mount bracket (snub mount), and the thermostat housing. Of course as par for me, I didn't really "drain" the coolant so I got me-self a coolant bath! Fine! It was a hot day anyway. :)

I really like the way they seal the thermostat; no gaskets like the american cars; just o-ring type seals. Had to use a lot of clamps and I still managed to loose 1 gallon of coolant! Getting off those pesky clamps was just as bad as the ones on the oil cooler. :(

While I was down there, I moved the engine a few times to see if the squeak I've been hearing are coming from any of the motor mounts and to my surprise, the squeaks were coming from the front snub-mount. I recall greasing up the snub's inner recess but not the exterior portion. I took some WD40 to the whole thing just to test and sure enough, the squeak is completely gone!!! The car is so damn quiet now. :)

As I was testing for leaks and letting the engine "burp" out air bubbles, I gunned the engine a few times at the TB and "POP" when the TB hose! I didn't tighten it down as well so as I was tigtening it again I noticed the screw was "skipping"; then I noticed the "ridges" of the OEM clamp were getting pretty chewed up so I bought a new hose clamp for that was well.

I still need to buy coolant as I ran out and I still needed another 1/2 gallon or so; I filled the rest with distilled water but left enough to top off with concentrated coolant when I pick it up later today.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Glad its all fixed there Herman. Just for reference when I go to do my oil cooler in a couple weeks... how much coolant/water concentrate does the car hold? I figure I can do up about 2 gallons of the mixed stuff with the supply that I have. Is that enough to fill the whole system up, or will I need another gallon of the G12 stuff?

Good thing that the car is quiet now. Im sure that you enjoy the added quietness in the car going to and from work.

Steve

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, it's 7 quarts; you get one gallon of concentrated coolant and mix 50/50 min. and 70/30 max. Have a gallon container ready (milk?) and put 50/50. Then fill your coolant gallon container with water for the other 50/50 mix. Also buy the distilled water instead of using tap so you know there's no particulate matter inside. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Re: Fixed my water pump clamps and surprise! Fixed my squeak

HermanH said:
I didn't really "drain" the coolant so I got me-self a coolant bath! Fine! It was a hot day anyway.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did this last week when I took my EFK out! That lower radiator hose clamp is a PITA to take off and that pink coolant tastes like crap
:p .oO( Blaaaahh!! )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts