Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to fit the ESP (stability control) to a 1999 TDi variant? My car is a finnish market model and it has everything I want (110hp tdi, comfortline, technical package, winter package) except ESP. ESP was standard in the german market models for this year.

Anyone done this to theirs? Any hints or tips?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Possible? In theory yes.

Worth it? Not, it will cost you alot and to get it working is another issue.

ESP consist of bunch of sensors around the car ie. steering wheel position sensor. Fitting these afterwards will be quite difficult.

Better option is to try to find a car with ESP and trade yours in it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
ESP & Climatronic are two of the most requested features that pretty much MUST be installed while the car is being built.

Well, that and 4Motion. But I think that's probably obvious...

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I met a guy with a Jetta TDi 3 years ago that bought the stock tires off my W8 that did it. Don't remember his name but I believe he posts on vwvortex in the TDi forums alot.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The only hint I could possibly give on this one is to locate a '98 or '99TDi with ESP in a salveage yard somewhere near you.

After doing this, you need to perform a close inspection of the wiring harness in the salvage car to determine whether the wiring harness for ESP is integrated into the "mother harness"...I suspect it is. (All this of course after thoroughly studying the electrical schematics so you know exactly where to look).

If it is not, ask the salvage yard if they will sell the ESP harness separately from the mother harness. If you can't get the ESP wiring harness separately, going any further is pointless. (See above post about trading your car for one with ESP)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your your responses!

I've looked around wreckers yards, but with no luck. As it wasn't standard here it's understandably hard to find.

I've had the steering wheel off when I fitted cruise control (which was quite easy), noticed the place where the steering wheel angle sensor should go, the only other additional sensor I think would be the yaw sensor under the seats, esp also uses the abs sensors which are already there.

I'll have to spend some more time with etka and vag-com investigating this, of course having another car with esp to do a back to back comparison would help!

Rgds, Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts