Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone, I am pretty new (just joined yesterday).
I am in college and the money situation is very tight. :cry:
I am saving a few every week for alloys from Kauffman (will be about Oct. or Nov. before I get them).
I am looking for cheap mods like under $50. Can you help me? I have a Euroswitch already, racing mats, tried the racing pedals (they fell off), and she just got service so she runs smooth. I heard about the DV valve, but dunno if the car has the new one much less where it is. Can you help me?

Also, I want to get headlight bulbs that look blue to any oncoming drivers (you know the bulbs like they put in Benzes and BMWs) My car is a 99. Where can I get just the bulbs cheap?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome to the club. In time you will find out that all :b5: ers are pretty awesome people with a healthy enthusiasm for thier cars.

Sylvania offers Blue as well as PIAA. HID Xenons are the real item, but they are big bucks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking on JCWhitney.com and I also found the sylvanias. They are moderately expensive but nothing to difficult to save for. The low beams and the high beams are different bulbs, right? And are the low beams for a 99 passat H7?

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Bently manual strangely enough shows it as a H7, but I would check your owners manual to make sure. I'm not 100% because I have a 2003 with HID Xenons. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
First of all welcome to the club. There are a ton of things that you can do for under $50. My first couple of suggestions would be:
1. BMC drop-in airfilter - $40 - shipped from westcoastspeed.com
2. You were interested in headlight replacement - many here suggest the Osram silverstars (different from Sylvania in that they are from Europe) or the Philips Vision Plus. The are fairly expensive, but if you are in no rush just check the classfied and group buy sections and you should be able to find them a little cheaper - got mine for $37 shipped.
3. Buy some paint and paint your engine covers - However much the paint you choose costs. You are from the ATL area I can help you with that.
4. Buy some VHT Nite Shades tint your tails - I can help you with that one too.
5. I guess I should have put this first, but I would save some cash for a chip if you don't have one already. Since you have a '99 you can get the neuspeed chip for cheap from greedspeed. ~ $169 shipped. Only then do I think the new DV would be truly beneficial.
6. Shorty antenna - got mine off of ebay for $19 shipped.

You can see that this really never ends. Also look in the events forums there have been more and more ATL GTGs lately you can me me and many other ATL :b5: ers. Good Luck and happy modding.

Thad. :D

Edit:I feel you on the whole broke college student situation. Chances are if there is a cheap mod out there I have done it. :p

·
Registered
745 Posts
Darth Volkswagen said:
First of all welcome to the club. There are a ton of things that you can do for under $50. My first couple of suggestions would be:
2. You were interested in headlight replacement - many here suggest the Osram silverstars (different from Sylvania in that they are from Europe) or the Philips Vision Plus. The are fairly expensive, but if you are in no rush just check the classfied and group buy sections and you should be able to find them a little cheaper - got mine for $37 shipped.
3. Buy some paint and paint your engine covers - However much the paint you choose costs. You are from the ATL area I can help you with that.
4. Buy some VHT Nite Shades tint your tails - I can help you with that one too.
5. I guess I should have put this first, but I would save some cash for a chip if you don't have one already. Since you have a '99 you can get the neuspeed chip for cheap from greedspeed. ~ $169 shipped. Only then do I think the new DV would be truly beneficial.
6. Shorty antenna - got mine off of ebay for $19 shipped.

You can see that this really never ends. Also look in the events forums there have been more and more ATL GTGs lately you can me me and many other ATL :b5: ers. Good Luck and happy modding.

Edit:I feel you on the whole broke college student situation. Chances are if there is a cheap mod out there I have done it. :p
eheh, you are rite, it never ends :)
first of all welcome, i am also a student without much money here :) I was gonna recomend the short antenna, shift knob (u already looking into that i think- saw it in other tread), paint the engine covers and calipers and the chip (didnt know that chip was so cheap darthvolkswagen). The thing is i am also saving for wheels and then suspension but some times other things come in the way and i end up buyin them (stuff that improves the looks and is relatively cheap).. ah, another mod u can do is a boost gauge, for 50 bucks u can get a pod and a gauge from VDO.
I am also in GA and would love to attend to one of the ATL GTG, they seem great"

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you're smart, you'll step away from the computer... and forget you ever found this website.

When I first bought my new Passat (about 2 months ago), I thought I had a pretty nice car. Then I stumbled across Club B5. Since then, I've been reading the threads every day, and getting more and more ideas for modding.

In less than 2 months, I've spent an additional $5500.00 on wheels, suspension, and stereo upgrades... for a car that I thought was nice 2 months ago.

Just be warned... the mod bug will get you.... and it will cost.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Also, you can debadge the rear, disable the drl's, and change the tiptronic into sport mode (if you have access to a vag-com.) These mods are all free and are pretty cool. Good luck with your car :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A short whip antenna is a cheap mod.
Monster mats will run you around fifty bucks.
Sylvania Silverstar headlamps... 30 bucks
LED City Lights - 10 bucks
Sunglesses Holder - under 50 bucks
You could probably get a nice shifter knob for 50 bucks
Audi TT pedals (aluminum look) - around 50 bucks
A good wash shammy, some tire shine, and a bottle of wax - under 50 bucks

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
r3awak3n said:
... and the chip (didnt know that chip was so cheap darthvolkswagen)...
for B5's it is that cheap (at least for a '99 for sure, my girlfriend has '99 B5) for those of us in B5.5s we aren't so lucky. The best deal that I have found for us or at least me is $300 installed and shipped.

Def. check out the ATL GTGs. there is one coming up on the 16th and 17th
More info: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85280

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Vee-acht said:
The Bently manual strangely enough shows it as a H7, but I would check your owners manual to make sure. I'm not 100% because I have a 2003 with HID Xenons. Good Luck
owner's manual says something along the lines of, "Bulbs are very difficult to change, bring it to a dealer and have them tear you a new one to change it."

anyway, the low beams are H7, highs are H4.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Darth Volkswagen said:
i just checked, and it shows $67 for the B5's :???:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Darth Volkswagen said:
r3awak3n said:
... and the chip (didnt know that chip was so cheap darthvolkswagen)...
for B5's it is that cheap (at least for a '99 for sure, my girlfriend has '99 B5) for those of us in B5.5s we aren't so lucky. The best deal that I have found for us or at least me is $300 installed and shipped.

Def. check out the ATL GTGs. there is one coming up on the 16th and 17th
More info: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85280

yeah i really want to go to one but at the moment i am in europe for college hollidays. I will be back in the states late august and then will travel to savannah cuz school starts. Then the next ATL GTG after september i will try and drive to ATL to attend.. i am sure its worth it..
i have a B5 so a chip for that price is pretty good!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '99 and I changed my low beams to Silverstars awhile back. I think they were in fact H7's but I honestly don't remember :(

Anyway, welcome to the club, I'm fairly new to it too, but even just lurking as I do most of the time, I have learned a lot. The people here are awesome :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
Darth Volkswagen said:
i just checked, and it shows $67 for the B5's :???:
That sucks. :cry: I just got mine like 2 weeks ago. I guess I should pick up the charger kit for it now it seems to be on sale. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.