Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of my new '04 1.8T Passat, the dealer had a card in the owner's book saying "come in at 5000 or December for your first oil change.

It looks like I will be perhaps at 4,000 miles by Dec. The Dealer says they use 5W40 full synthetic (Castrol Syntec). I was never able to get a difinitive answer from the dealer as to what type oil was in the car from the factory. From looking around, I have yet to find a dino based 5W40 oil. So assuming the factory fill is 5W40 full synthetic, I guess I am okay waiting until 5000 miles for the change?

Anyone?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sure 5000 mi no problem even on non synthetic. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for more than need to know about oil. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
From looking around, I have yet to find a dino based 5W40 oil.
That's 'cause there aren't any, at least in US and Canada.

Sure 5000 mi no problem even on non synthetic.
I wouldn't go 5K on non-synth on the 1.8T, but that's just me. Realbeenetc, why not just go in and get the oil change done in Dec? At 4,000 miles, it's a nice compromise between those who will say "you must vait until 5,000 miles" and those who will counsel that 5,000 is too long for the initial oil change. That's pretty much exactly what I did.

And make sure they use the bigger filter spec'd for the '04's. Oh, and while they say they use the Castrol synth, make sure you specify it when you show up. Expect to pay about $6.00/qt or so. If it's much cheaper than that, it probably ain't synth.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I would go 5K miles or 6 months - that's the way I do it.

The Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is not a full synthetic I thought. If that is the case, just get some Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 (not a full synthetic either) but it consistently gets great UOAs. If you want full synth, then go to M1 0W-40 or even Castrol German Syntec 0W-30 - all meet VW specs.

I use Valvoline - and I'm thinking of switching to German Syntec.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a '99, doesn't VW still offer the 2/24 maint package? Follow the plan.

I used VW for the 2/24 included oil changes. After the 2/24, I perform my own (after seeing the first non-VW garage trying to remove the belly pan, long story). However, I documented every oil change and kept the receipts, until the warranty expired. I recommend doing this if you go out on your own. In my experience, VWoA can be very difficult and may try to void a claim. A delayed, missed, or non-documented oil change is all the excuse they need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.