Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating getting a Wett chip after I do the 5000 mile oil change on my car. My main problem with the power of my stock 5-speed manual car is that first gear feels pretty short and weak. I am pretty happy with the power of the car in second gear on up, so I am wondering if those of you have chipped your cars can tell me if it's worth my while to chip my car at the risk of losing warranty coverage. I guess what I really need is to take a ride in a chipped car to see how differently it drives from stock. The Wett chip supoosedly provides a 35-hp bump and almost 50% more peak torque, albeit the peak rpm is shifted up from 1950 to about 2700 rpm.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I havent Chipped my V6 Passat, but yeah you will get more pull throught out the whole RPM range, so yes you will get better 1st gear pull. Especailly since you have a 1.8T You should do pretty good!!! Better then a V6 :wink: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have a Wett chip. I can say that I dont get much power on 1st gear, I do get a lot of boost whiel on third gear though. I dont recall the mapping on the Wett chip but I believe the sweet spot is on 3rd

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gearing only matters as far as RPM, 1st gear on our cars blows anyway, by the time the 1.8 gets the turbo going it shifts to the way too tall 2nd gear.

But in any case, chip it! You will love it, the car just really feels like you took the restrictor plate off.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the 1 Bar upsolute chip, and whether or not it makes the gear feel much longer, it fixes any problems you might have with it. It no longer seems like time to shift at 10 mph, and it doesn't have to rev nearly as high to get moving. My experience with the chip has been nothing but good. It doesn't wholly transform the car, but feels to me like going from a powerful 4 cyl to a powerful 6. For the price, it is in my opinion, the best performance upgrade available. Chip it :thumbup: .

·
Registered
152 Posts
???

I am a little confused here...my stock 02 looses traction in first gear if i floor it so i am not sure why your car seems weak. I know that the tips are known to have a 1st gear hesitation until the boost comes up but your 5 speed should accelerate hard at any rpm over 2000.

to answer the question: yes a chip will make your car stronger in all gears
my chipped 04 does not have anywhere near enough traction to put down full power in 1st gear...barely has enough traction in second.

One thought, are you mistaking your traction control for lack of power?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the difference is slushbox vs. stick-shift. :) I put a G-chip in my 98 1.8T and it totally transformed the car. I can easily break the wheels loose in 1st and 2nd, and that's with 225mm Dunlop SP9000 rubber... which is fairly sticky stuff. The car is just no fun without the chip.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my complaint with the short gear is that you cross 4000 rpm in what feels like less than 15 mph and feels like you would hit redline before 25 mph. I suspect that it's more of a gearing issue than turbo boost. I just hought that the chip might help this somehow.

My cousin bought 180-hp Audi TT quattro when the TT first came on the market and he had the same exact issue with his car and ended up selling his TT in less than 6 months because of lack of oomph in first gear and off-boost rpm.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Wett :thumbup: :thumbup: $295 can't go wrong. My car is chipped and the warranty is fine, just switch the stock chip back in before you take it to the dealer. They've had my car now for 8 days now for oil leaks, but as soon as i get it back the 1.1 Bar Wett is going right back in.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i think its just geared short to try and reduce turbo lag from a stop. If first were really long the power that it would need would make turbo lag very noticeable from a stop. I noticed some increased power from teh Wett chip in first but its not a pulling gear really just a really quick revving one and i know if i even give it half gas in first i usually spin the tires at least a little.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
B5veedub
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing