Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting my first car probably in a year, would you say a passat would make a good first car. Any suggestions about it?

I was also wondering how hard it is to install body kits and cosmetic mods as well as what kind of backgrounds do you need for electrical mods? Where can one go to learn all these things.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Yeah the passat is mine as well. It's fun to drive, attractive, safe, and an all-around great car. Plus the 1.8 has tons of tuning potential. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
-Ryan :b5:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably going to have to go with a used car. At approximately what point (100k miles? 150k?) does it start to have maintenance issues?

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
njskatchmo said:
I'm probably going to have to go with a used car. At approximately what point (100k miles? 150k?) does it start to have maintenance issues?
Personaly, unless the car has alot of highway miles i wouldnt buy a used car with that many miles on it. As far as maintanence some people here get lucky and have very few problems while others end up with thousands of dollors worth of replacement parts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My first car is my passat. I think its a great first car. The only thing is maintenance. Its a german car meaning its gonna cost more to repair. But i think its worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean when would it start having issues around how many thousands. Ill prolly end up buying something iwht like 50k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How big of an issue is the maintenance? My cousin who had a jetta told me it's alot but is it really all that bad compared to lets say a honda/toyota/nissan?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
it's a great car, but as others said, maintenance would most likely be higher than japanese cars. of course, there are many people here with very few problems too. 8)

·
Registered
301 Posts
i say pick something that'll break alot... that sounds odd, but having a car that doesnt always get you from place to place without issue helps you appreciate it more when you do have a reliable car. My first car was a VW corrado that wouldnt go 1k miles without something breaking, and i wouldnt trade the knowledge that i have gained from having to work on it for anything. plus it makes having the passat just that much better :lol: . just my .02.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yeah, what NJ said, you'll appreciate it. My B5 is the first car I've personally owned, I drove my dad's 97 olds for three years and we spent just about every weekend working on that car. As a matter of fact, we just spent about six or eight hours yesterday replacing the manifold cover on it because they have a tendency to fail right about where the egr valve meets the cover and leak coolant and oil. If anybody's second car has a 3800 II motor in it and you're losing coolant, keep an eye out for this troublesome spot.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I used to drive my dad's 95 BMW (which will soon be mine... YEAHHH :p) but the passat is my first car. I just had it for 2 months or so and I love it. I think its a great first car but i do have to agree (i didnt have problems yet and the car has 70 k miles - the owner before said he never had any problems either) the maintnence will be a little more expensive than jap cars and much more expensive than american cars. but its worth it cuz its such an awesome car :b5: :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
r3awak3n
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing