Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 4mo in for a lifetime alignment today. They called me a couple hours later saying they couldn't do it because:

- Steering sensor must be checked with VAG-Com afterwards
- Can't do cars with TREs on top
- Could damage the ASR
- Need a hanging toe setup

I got the point and picked up the car. What wieners.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
yea, i feel you too. once this guy at the good year shop did alighnment for me, and did it to all four wheels on my front wheel drive... and wanted to overcharge me for it too.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Even VW does not mess with the raised toe setting unless there are some weird handling problems.

Firestone aligns mine twice a year. Never had a problem. I used to work at Firestone doing alignments a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Even VW does not mess with the raised toe setting unless there are some weird handling problems.

Firestone aligns mine twice a year. Never had a problem. I used to work at Firestone doing alignments a long time ago.
Why for sin do you need an alignment 2X a year, unless you are constantly swapping out springs?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yea it's like $180. I think once you have a good alighnment there is far more chance for them to screw it up then make it better.

7 year 70K miles, my factory alighnment was perfect, until I had a tie rod replaced. The realignment just didn't seem the same.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yea it's like $180. I think once you have a good alighnment there is far more chance for them to screw it up then make it better.

7 year 70K miles, my factory alighnment was perfect, until I had a tie rod replaced. The realignment just didn't seem the same.
I'm 93k on mine and it finally slightly feels like it need an alignment (Tires all wear evenly). I'll wait til I replace my suspension this spring though.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here's what I think happened. I had them note on the work order:

1) Use no penetrating lubricant or vice grips on TREs
2) Do not check or add fluids

They probably figured out a way to back out because they figured I'd be a PITA for the remainder of the contract. They were probably right.

8,184 Posts

Come drive in Pittsburgh Pa and say that. Hell I get a alm and 2 seconds down the road after hitting the 10,000 pot holes your out again.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Same with nails/ screws - If I get a "new" car, or new tires, in less than a month I pick something up.
Only ONCE did I get lucky - my 235/45-17 NT-555's amde it over 10,000 miles (1,800 of that from Ft. Myers FL to Plymouth MN) with no damage.
Traded it in on the W8 - 2 months later a screw...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
if your alignment is off from hitting potholes it means something is bent and an alignment is not the solution. a 4 wheel alignment is great but on a fwd passat there is no adjustment in the rear, if it's off something is bent.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I got a control arm job and my alignment was out also. However in terms of hitting a pothole and it being out, i would agree something is bent.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just need the toe set from a TRE job I did a few months back. It's eaten up the crappy Dunlops I had on it, but now I have nice tires and want to see them last. I think I'm gonna get a plumb bob and do it myself. Anyone know the toe setting?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1/16th falls right in line with the 10' specification I found in the Bentley shop manual. Does that mean that the angle between the wheels should be 179 and 40' or 50'? The apex of the angle should be in the front** of the car, right?

** 1,000 feet out

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Ok, I have NO idea what that means. 1/16" toe in means the front of the wheel is inboard of the wheel centerline 1/16" on each side.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1/16 from left wheel to right wheel, not to the centerline of the car, correct? And 1/16 from front to wheel center, not front to back, correct?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts