Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
yeah, they busted that myth on mythbusters about cell phones causing an electrical fire spark at gas pumps. turns out it's because women (it was discovered it generally happens with women) put the pump on automatic, and then get in their car with their cloth seats and depending on the certain type of fabric their wearing, will carry a static charge with them back to the pump. every now than then i'll get a static charge when i get out of my passat and close the door

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah if it flashes like that, your supposed to leave the pump in the tank since its just the vapor that ignites. Cool video though, people forget theres a gallon of window washing fluid a foot away from the pump. :p

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I remember watching the guys on mythbusters (discovery channel) try and simulate this experiment. According to them, it took a really strong static discharge to do it.

Hmm.. chalk one up to freak occurences.

-alex

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Well I think this lady was pretty dum for not running away....if I was her husband I would be pissed!!!! I mean why would you want to pull that thing out.....get the fug out of there women!!!!!

Unless she had kids in the back....that was just plain stupid what she did!!!
People do all kind of dumb things in unexpected situations, especially one in which they've had no training or experience. I swear, is she trying to blow out the fire?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I like the fact that in the very beginning, she tries to blow it out like it's a birthday candle.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My father works for Sunoco and they sent bulletins to all of their stations warning about this, especially in the winter. They had a picture of a van that was completely incinerated by one of these fires.

After she blew on it, I was expecting her to squeeze the pump...you know, to put the fire out with a liquid. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts