Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my rear door locks have been working intermittently. (98 1.8T) When I use the key to lock the doors, the lights flash, horn goes off, but sometimes one or both rear doors won't lock. And you can open them right up without the alarm going off. Anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix? TIA

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Lately, my rear door locks have been working intermittently. (98 1.8T) When I use the key to lock the doors, the lights flash, horn goes off, but sometimes one or both rear doors won't lock. And you can open them right up without the alarm going off. Anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix? TIA
well the factt that they open right up with out alarm going off is understandble, the alarm only turns on after like 30sec after you lock the car.

and about the lucks ELECTRIC problem you got there try vag com first and see if there is any cods for the locks...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the rubber accordian type sleeve that runs between your doors and the door pillar. The wires to the door run through that. If you pull it back to inspect the wires, I bet you'll find that the wires are frayed or completely busted. You'll have to either splice those wires back together, and insulate them well, or replace the entire door wiring harness. VW used wire with really cheap insulation on the back doors. The insulation gets very stiff in cold weather, and cracks when you open the doors. Then the insulation falls off, the wires either short or break, and you get all sorts of weird problems with the back doors. The problem is, if you repair the wires, the stress is put right next to your repairs, and that's where the wires will break next. Best solution is a new door wiring harness, depending on how long you intend to keep the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts