Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I *love* the original 8-bit Nintendo, and with all the kids installing X-Box and Playstations in their car, I wanted to do something different. So I discovered that the Generation 2 Nintendo fits PERFECTLY into the center armrest. A few slight modifications, addition of a TV tuner and a bunch of wiring later, it's installed.

I still have to reroute the power cable through the back of the armrest, but the rest is completed. The armrest still folds up completely and the installation is invisible.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THe display is made by Farenheit, cost me about $1,000 installed about 2 years ago. THe newere ones are the same price, just better quality.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Gurft, all i have to say is that that is the sweetest thing i saw arround for a while here... Its just awesome, so old school! ahah... sure ps2 is nice but a good old nintendo or sega is awesome... some of the best games were out for super nintendo and sega genesis... my youth, thats all i ever did ahah... well, awesome, ur kids will love it... lol, and u will too probably :)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
That is so cool. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What? Kids? What you talkin' bout willis. Give me another 2 or 3 years for that one, I'm only 24 ;) This is MY toy :lol:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
:shock:

Tell me about the Generation 2. Will it have less problems than my oldie reading my good ole games? :)

Sorry to go OT.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Gen2 system loads games from the top, so no more blowing into the games or anythign like that. The only problems I've had with it are with really cheap old games, ones made by off brand companies that didn't use a full thickness circuit board (if that makes sense) Basically the header isn't wide enough to make a good connection to the nintendo.

I've played Mega Man, all 3 mario Bros, 2 Zeldas, and a ton of other games with no problems.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Would it be possible to fold it back and open the trunk through-pass so you caould sit right in the middle? I'd think that'd be the best setup for seeing the screen, unless the screen is rotatable.

Still sweet. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a Variant, so I don't have a trunk passthrough (well I *do* it's called a rear cargo area), I'm sure you could do it tho, since everything folds up flush. The screen does rotate to the left and right also for people to play.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
JokerPassat said:
I just noticed, is there a difference in the rear center armrest for a B5 and a B5.5?
Yup The b5.5 rear armrest has a storage compartment in it with fold out cup holders.
My B5 has no center armrest in the rear. MY 2000.

Pete

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
That's cool. I ended up purchasing one of these to play games in the car:

Got it at Wal-Mart for $18. Hooks into the aux-input of my AVIC-N1. I like the old games that I grew up with, easy and fun to play. And it's easy to take into the house.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JokerPassat said:
Damn, I'm kinda working on an idea and I'm thinking I wonder if there is a way to switch the armrest from a B5.5 to a B5. Think its an easy switch?
I can't imagine it's simple, might have to swap out the entire rear seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
now that's what I called a project. If only my nintendo still worked... I've got about 7 of the original ones that don't work. Won't part them though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts