Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally crossed the 1,000 mi. initial break in = Freedom to floor it once in a while.
Man I LOVE THIS CAR!
Sorry '99 owners, but this one feels a little faster than my prev. Passat.
The old Butt-Dyno feels some much improved torque. Can't wait until its chipped.

Now whats up with the stock suspension? :nervous:
Feels like a Jello-car. If I Back out of my driveway at an angle it wobbles three-four times driving me nuts! The slightest steering input at highway speeds starts the car into immediate leaning.

Judging from speed hump recovery the stock shocks don't feel inadequate, there's just too much sway. Would a rear sway-bar tighten up all the bobbing? :???:

Maybe I'm due for a full 1BE setup... any suggestions??

·
Registered
415 Posts
A rear sway bar will definately improve your situation. Dropping the car and/or some wider tires will also give you a mesurable improvement.
Of course, doing all of the above is the best :lol:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
HIGHLY recommend the 1BE paired with good sport shocks (e.g. Koni's, Bilsteins, etc.).

Congrats on surviving the break-in! Now chip her! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
swaybar

I just put in a rear swaybar and am very happy about the result.
Car is a '03 1.8T Variant. Suspension is OE, so the rear bar is my only mod to date.
It's a 28MM Autotech lightweight bar.
It really improved the feel of the car a lot. It corners flatter and turns in crisper and quicker.
There is still the same bobbing when you go from gas to brake (fore/aft), but the side to side is WAY better.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That was probably the first thing I noticed when I got mine last year. You'll also notice how bad the suspension is when its really windy out. The stock suspension was the first thing to go! I replaced mine around 3K miles with a Eibach/Koni setup from Tirerack. That made a huge difference. Then last month I had a rear sway (SRS) bar installed and that made the ride even tighter. Now all I have to do is throw my 17's on and I should be good to go. The ride will be a little harsher if you upgrade to a stiffer setup but its worth it if you plan on driving faster than 80mph! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts