Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 05 Golf was bought new in Oct 2004 and the original timing belt has 64K and 16.5 years. I bought the parts about 4 years ago, when it hit 60K. I also bought a new plastic fender liner, side motor cover and belly pan as they broke when they hit something, maybe a curb.
I just bought some new rear brake pads, a dipstick as it broke 2 years ago and the main electric fan which also died 2-3 years ago. We might try the brake replacement and fluid change today. It also needs an oil change. The car is going to a shop for the headliner and roof drain repair (leaking at the connected and clean drains) on Monday. I can't work over my head anymore.
I also picked up this kit, as my son is taking the car on June 1st and will be 1000 miles away in Ohio. The last full year, he put over 20K on his old wagon, so I don't want anything else to fail over the year. Not only does the 2.Slow have the plastic flange and thermostat housing, but it also has 2 plastic hose connectors. These will go in next week:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Better late than never. :p

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been driven about 5 miles each week for the past 2 years, so it was not a priority. We were going to sell it, but my son wanted it, so we sold his Passat wagon instead.

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's tempting, but not in my budget. I do happed to have a donor car with a gas tank still intact. Maybe the fire dept and police would not mind if I blew it up outside.

The timing belt is complete thanks to a lot of help from Kevin aka "Twowagens". He was a big help as I can't stand up too long at one time, so I did most of the under-car work. He found the "plastic" vacuum line to the brake booster cracked and separated at the check valve. I cut the cracked part and will install a silicone hose "patch" between the plastic hose and the valve. I have to put it in boiling water beforehand as it's a bit too tight on the plastic to put into place.

I found out they sent the wrong brake pads from AutoZone, the box contained a set of front pads, which are still about 60% intact. With any luck, I have my son help change the oil, fuel filter, front wiper blades, rear brakes, and brake fluid flush on Sunday. Then it's off to the shop for the headliner.

The electric fan and metal coolant pipes come in Tuesday or Wednesday, so the thermostat housing and coolant flange will be done after their arrival. The flange on the transverse engine it much easier than a Passat. You can see and reach it easily.

BTW, here is a pic of a 64K 16.5yr serpentine belt and timing belt. If you zoom in, you can read the VW numbers still on the timing belt. No micro-cracks on the belts at all, they still looked really good.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I'm still pretty bummed I never really got to visit with twowagens while I was there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's tempting, but not in my budget. I do happed to have a donor car with a gas tank still intact. Maybe the fire dept and police would not mind if I blew it up outside.

The timing belt is complete thanks to a lot of help from Kevin aka "Twowagens". He was a big help as I can't stand up too long at one time, so I did most of the under-car work. He found the "plastic" vacuum line to the brake booster cracked and separated at the check valve. I cut the cracked part and will install a silicone hose "patch" between the plastic hose and the valve. I have to put it in boiling water beforehand as it's a bit too tight on the plastic to put into place.

I found out they sent the wrong brake pads from AutoZone, the box contained a set of front pads, which are still about 60% intact. With any luck, I have my son help change the oil, fuel filter, front wiper blades, rear brakes, and brake fluid flush on Sunday. Then it's off to the shop for the headliner.

The electric fan and metal coolant pipes come in Tuesday or Wednesday, so the thermostat housing and coolant flange will be done after their arrival. The flange on the transverse engine it much easier than a Passat. You can see and reach it easily.

BTW, here is a pic of a 64K 16.5yr serpentine belt and timing belt. If you zoom in, you can read the VW numbers still on the timing belt. No micro-cracks on the belts at all, they still looked really good.

View attachment 103292
Looks like it can easily go another 10 years. EPDM belts and hoses can practically last forever if no contact with oil. But I am with you in replacing it. For piece of mind at least for me.

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rest of the components looked great too, but if he does another 20K over the next year, I don't want to risk it.
The upholstery shop has it now. They will drop the headliner, seal the drain tubes with sealant and put the new cloth on. Usually, they do not drop the headliner to replace the cloth.

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A battle with the car over the last 2 days, as well as moving a 300lb TV out from upstairs to the recycling center.
I checked the rear brakes and they could easily go another 20K. I used the Motive for a brake fluid flush as the pedal seemed a bit low to me. I found a plugged bleeder, which is odd as they all look new (usually no rust here). I managed to pull and clean the bleeder, so hopefully, the brakes feel better. I swapped out the larger electric fan as it did not work and the a/c was no longer freezing by the end of the street. I also removed the never-used Phatbox from the trunk as my son wanted as much cargo space as possible for hauling a marimba around.
I replaced the thermostat housing with the Aluminum one, what a pain. It looks like I lost a fight with a cat at bathtime. I finally pulled the alternator as I could not get the lower bolt back in place. I tried to replace the coolant flange but found the new metal part did not line up with the bolt holes. I was able to replace a 4-way plastic splitter. Luckily, the flange on a transverse motor is easy to get to.
I also replaced the dipstick and tube as the handle broke off years ago and the tube broke when I pulled the dipstick out. I pulled and lubed the centering rings with a dab of grease, so they are easy to remove if he needs to use the spare in the rust belt.
Later today, after I sleep, I will swap the driver's side axle as the inner boot is torn. The outer boot looks fine, but I did not want to risk it with the car 900 miles away in Cincinnati. Then I have to put the wheels on and install the new side panels for the belly pan. Finally, I have to top off the coolant after running and driving the car.
I took much too long to get it all done, but I had to stop often and my back was getting pretty sore as the day went on. My elbow felt great, no issues at all.

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished up the axle, but oddly, it was stuck in the hub. It required plenty of hits with the 2lb sledgehammer. All was well on the test drive and the a/c is ice cold again. The a/c in the Golf is ridiculous, it's ice cold within 30 seconds and always was before the fan died. I don't know why the a/c in the Passats were never that good.
I spent the last few days recovering from swollen hands and sore muscles. My right hand is still pretty stiff, but I can move all of my fingers now. My arms looked like I lost a fight with a cat at bathtime.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I don't know why the a/c in the Passats were never that good.
Even more so down here in this heat. It's takes quite a while before air blows even close to being cold.
It's even worse in my 1998 GLS with the manual a/c. That's instant on full fan speed, the air coming out of the vents actually hurts my face it's so hot.

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's one reason I did not like the GLX, I hate the auto fan and constant airflow when the system is off. It's far simpler with the manual controls. The Tiguan is nice a quick to put out cold air, but even though it's larger than the wagon, it cools quickly in the front seats and has rear a/c vents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts