Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had my fiberglass sub box made for my Variant, and thanks to Rich P at Show N' Go, I got a good picture of it to post (Don't worry Rich, I moved it to my picture hosting)

A different angle

I had it made by AutoFX here in Cherry Hill, NJ they charged me $350, I provided the Sub and the front grill bars. If any other Variant owners are interested, I might be able to talk them into making a few more.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It works great. At first I thought the same thing from looking at the pictures. I think it's either becuase the carpet isn't a *perfect* match or the light that it looks like that. In person it looks great.

It's a little bit of a smaller chamber then my last sub box, but it still hits hard, and I get great response from it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gurft

Look like a decent little enclosure, But is it me or are the top two grill bars slanted, and bottom ones look straight. Unelss you requested they mount them in this manor I would want them all straight.
What JL sub is that? Hhow many cubic ft of air space is the interanl volume of that box?

Pete

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are a little slanted, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out ;) Anyhow it's a JL 10W3, and in all honesty I have no clue as to the internal volume. I just wanted it to *fit* I imagine after figuring it out I might want to change my sub to something that can handle the smaller area. I can't imagine it's any smaller the 1.5 cubic feet tho.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Actually probaly 0.8 ft ^3 at most.

If you need to measure it remove the driver and grills place a thick garbage bag inside the enclosure and carefully add water keeping track of how much water goes in then use the volume conversions for liters to cubic ft.

Pete

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
It looks "off" because it doesn't follow the lines of the trunk worth a crap IMO. It looks to be a very well made enclosure, but I'd have had them redo it if it was mine. From the pics and the knowing how big the motor structure is on the 10W3 v.2 I'd be surprised if it was over .6 ft^3. That's part of the reason it "hits" better. Smaller enclosures will give you a bump in the midbass response and sacrifice some of the extended low bass. A great trade off for most people. I'm glad you like it.

How do you like the Sony amp? All of the ones I sold or installed always worked great.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Sony amp does the job, I got it becuase it was cheap and I wanted to get *something* in there at the time. I'd like to replace it with a nice alpine in the upcoming months.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Gurft said:
The Sony amp does the job, I got it becuase it was cheap and I wanted to get *something* in there at the time. I'd like to replace it with a nice alpine in the upcoming months.

Why? What do you think the Alpine will do that the Sony doesn't? Does it not get loud enough? Changing the amp to a more powerful unit will only make it louder, it won't do ANYTHING about how it sounds. I'd save the money.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not ashamed to say it. It's a brand loyalty thing. The rest of my system is Alpine, and I like the product. Also I think the red amp sticks out like a sore thumb in my interior, so I want the black/silver look of the Alpine. The rest of my system is Alpine, I might as well follow suit with that. My other option is to go with a JL Audio amp for quality, but I don't have that kind of $$$ to put into it.

That Sony amp has a big 800 watt stamp on it, which I don't believe, nor trust. I'd rather have a 250/1 Alpine Amp in there any day of the week that I know is pushing at least 125 RMS to the sub then something stamped with 800 that's barely putting out 60....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Gurft said:
I'm not ashamed to say it. It's a brand loyalty thing. The rest of my system is Alpine, and I like the product. Also I think the red amp sticks out like a sore thumb in my interior, so I want the black/silver look of the Alpine. The rest of my system is Alpine, I might as well follow suit with that. My other option is to go with a JL Audio amp for quality, but I don't have that kind of $$$ to put into it.

That Sony amp has a big 800 watt stamp on it, which I don't believe, nor trust. I'd rather have a 250/1 Alpine Amp in there any day of the week that I know is pushing at least 125 RMS to the sub then something stamped with 800 that's barely putting out 60....

I can understand the brand loyalty thing, I'm an Alpine fan myself. Also a 250 watt Alpine will put out 250 (maybe a bit more) watts. Your Sony, believe it or not, actually makes slightly more than rated power. Look in the manual and see how much power it makes at the load it's seeing. Unless you go with an Alpine MRD-M500 (and maybe not even then) or an MRD-M1000 you won't see ANY difference in the sound, so don't be disappointed when it sounds the same. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would hate to keep quiet and have you spend $500 or $600 on an "upgrade" that doesn't do anything for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts