Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the prowl for 4 years. Came close to trapping a few, but was ultimately denied in the end each time, almost to the point of loosing faith in my quest.
But today I'm here to tell you I finally captured the beast. And yes it really does exist.
Well, I gotta go.
I'll let the avid readers writhe with anticipation for a bit. I am such a cruel human being, but I have always wanted to do this.
I'll be back later with the details... ;)

I'll leave this here during the wait.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Man, you really are a glutton for punishment...if you did what I think you did. :hmmm:

Side topic: How much longer (and additional parts cost) on your wife's V6 rehab project?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, you really are a glutton for punishment...if you did what I think you did. :hmmm:
I have no idea what you may or may not be talking about. :whistle:

Side topic: How much longer (and additional parts cost) on your wife's V6 rehab project?
Ha, funny you should mention that. It's a long convoluted and twisted mess, but long story short, my place of employment screwed up my paycheck for the last 4 weeks in a row. All because I opted to get paid out for 4 of my 5 weeks of vacation this year. That somehow 'freaked out' the payroll dept and I haven't received any money for the last 4 weeks. :confused: Don't even ask. Just this week I got one massive payroll check. So with said problem resolved...

I spent about $3k yesterday between ECS Tuning, FCP Euro and autohausAZ to get the rest of the parts to finish the job. I will have all parts required to finish that project delivered to my door by end of week next week. And then it's back into the garage until that car is running. My wife is pretty cool and understanding, but she did mention something about a chain. :lol:

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
Must add 2 turbos.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
paul, i can't imagine you saying "i got mad skillz" with a straight face. haha.

anywho, are we taking bets that he got a project w8 4mo automatic? :poke:

with his luck it'd have the initial phases of a torque converter flare/failure :lol:

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
paul, i can't imagine you saying "i got mad skillz" with a straight face. haha.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've only met Paul in person once, but I just can't see him saying that all serious like.

anywho, are we taking bets that he got a project w8 4mo automatic? :poke:

with his luck it'd have the initial phases of a torque converter flare/failure :lol:
The cat will be out of the bag soon.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've been on an active 4 year mission to seek out that elusive black on black W8 with manual trans.
And today I'm proud to say, I completed that mission.

First and foremost, I need to thank FamousDan for volunteering to drive 45 miles out of his way to be my 2nd self to go and check out the car.
He snapped a ton of pictures of all things important, including some videos of the car. He also took the car out for a test drive.
And then he even scanned it with VAG.
What a gentleman. People like you are what make this enthusiast forum great.
FamousDan, I :salute: you sir.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first 2 years were completely non productive. 2 years ago I saw a black on black W8 4 motion that was right here in the city I live in. But I soon found out that one was a TIP. So I let it go.
Last year and earlier this year forum member srdavis872 put his up on the boards. First time around it was out of reach for me.
I then later contacted him this year, found out he had just sold a couple days earlier. Oh so close.
There have been others on the internet but none of them were the 3 must haves. My must haves are black exterior with black interior and manual trans.

Today I finally hit that combination. (I should go buy a lotto ticket tonight)
Alright now the specifics.

The car: 2003 W8 6 sp manual 4 motion black on black.
The price: $1975
I paid $1800
Mileage: 182k

The car was located in Wapole, MA. It is s being delivered to my front door Thursday next week. $580 paid for delivery. I live 90 miles straight north of Chicago.

The car certainly is not a holy grail car. It's got some battle scars on it, but nothing to awfully bad.
As with all the other cars I have gotten dirt cheap, this one will be going into the garage for a complete tear down and re-hab. But with this car, it'll be a bit more intensive than the ones in the past. My plan is to bring this thing back up to like-new condition.

Things already on the list of must get done. There are 2 or 3 minor dents on the car that can be rolled out with paintless dent removal.
The other dent is in the roof just behind the windshield, that is a bummer. The car had a roof rack on it recently.
Definitely needs all wheels and shoes. Trunk lid behind license plate and the round section on the edge of the drivers side taillight needs to have rust removed and re-sprayed.

Interior wise, it needs a deep clean first and foremost, after that we'll see how it turns out and what needs to be done from there.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Long term plans for the car...
After pulling everything apart and going through it all. I'll be getting some wheels and tires for sure.
Bilstein PSS9's for the suspension. Some brake kit, don't know what brand yet.
And then finally I'll install my most prized audio gear in it. Top of the line a/d/s PX series speakers and a/d/s PQ40 amplifiers. All brand new never used.
Other than the things listed above I intend to keep it pretty much stock.

Reactions: stianulriksen

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Good snag, but with a MA car, the pinch bolt battle will likely be more brutal than the rout of the Italian ARMIR army on the frozen Russian steppes in January 1943. Arm yourself.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And here it is.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
Pinch bolt shouldn't be too bad. They have aluminum uprights.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And with the purchase of this car, I reached yet another milestone.
I am now even with PZ on number of Passat's owned. :rolleyes: :D

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
That dent on the front of the roof line might not be too big of a problem for PDR either. Should be easy to reach after dropping the sunroof control. Be sure to post pictures of your progress.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts