Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the crap do you get that film off the headlights....not the 3m stuff, the crappy looking oxidation type film....

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just tackeled this.

You can start by wetsanding with 1000 grit sandpaper to eliminate most of the oxydation, or move on to the next step.

Use rubbing compound with a random orbital polisher until you get the lights smooth.

Then use a polishing wax to get even more shine.

I stripped off the wax after that and applyed an anti-chip film to try to prevent further chipping, and it helped make them even more clear.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried the googone stuff, got some off, not shiny enough though....what is the process with wet sanding, just sand it while it's wet?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
everything i know about wet sanding is you have to soak the sand paper in water for atleast 24 hours and then sand with it, making sure that the surface is constantly re-wet basically you want the surface really wet and the sand paper really soaked so that you dont scratch anything too bad. then you have to polish the surface with some kind of polishing compound so that you get all the tiny scratches out and it shines nicely.

i think using the polishing compund or a mild scratch removing compound then a polishing compound with a random orbital buffer should be just fine, you dont want to remove too much material, just the surface oxidation as stated before

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I just talked to my glass repair man... Use 3m Finese-It and a buffer on medium/low speed.. He has a "special" compound that he uses that costs $90 lb but the Finesse will do. He says it usually caused my automated car wash soaps/polishes.. Make sure if you use a buffer to do the low speed thing. You don't want to overheat & melt the plastic lenses..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Liquid_Smoke said:
sounds like a lot of work, isnt there something you can just spray on, spray off. Im lazy.
If your lazy then why bother at all. Just take it to the body shop (or call a tow truck) and let the body shop have at it. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.