Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand from my local VW parts counter that there are no "blank" fifth (i.e. ASR/ESP) or sixth (German Taxi) switches. Does anybody know if it's possible to make a "blank" by modifying one of these switches? I'm thinking along the lines of removing the switch cover and painting the back of it black so that the light doesn't show through. Also, how do the fifth and sixth switches indicate that they are engaged? Do either of them stay "indented" (pressed in) when activated or do they just illuminate the characters I intend to paint over?

I'm very close to getting an APR chip for my non-DBW '98 and I'd like to use one of these switches to shift between stock and chipped mode. I don't plan on getting any of the extra APR modes (e.g. valet, race gas, etc.) so all I need is to be able to toggle between the two options. The non-DBWs cannot toggle between modes via the cruise control switch. Ideally, I'd like to get the ASR switch to read APR but I figure that's probably an unrealistic goal.

TGH

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Fifth/Sixth Switchs... Anybody do Blanks? (ThosHrubecky)

You just want the blanks so you can get your own toggle switch?

Left center cover: 3B0 858 179
Left lower cover: 3B0 858 180
Right center cover: 3B0 858 179 A
Right lower cover: 3B0 858 180 A

I'd say try and use the rear defogger switch, but (a) VW decided to make all the buttons with different shapes so they're NOT interchangeable
, and (b) unless you get the earlier ones with green lighting, the red ones have a time delay function so the defogger shuts off automatically.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

I have a '98 with an APR chip and all I can say is: "WHO WANTS TO DRIVE STOCK WHEN THEY CAN DRIVE CHIPPED!"

Just my $0.02!

I would also like to get a 5th switch, but I haven't looked into it yet. Let us know if you have success getting it.

As for what the 6th switch can do, check out these threads:
http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=32092
http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=34653
http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=31994

Cheers!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Fifth/Sixth Switchs... Anybody do Blanks? (TweakedB5)

TweakedB5: How many chip modes do you have? How do you switch between them? The shop that I spoke to mentioned placing a real toggle switch somewhere in the car. Their suggestions included (a) under the hood, (b) under the dash and (c) through either the fifth or sixth switch blank cover.

I'd like easy access to the switch and therefore (a) and (b) are non-starters. However, I don't like the idea of some hardware store switch looking out of place on my dashboard. That's why I'd like to use either the OEM fifth (i.e. ASR or ESP) or sixth (taxi light) switch. Ideally, I'd like to use the ASR switch and somehow change the lettering to read APR. IIRC, that switch is lit in one color when engaged and a different color when disengaged and also it does not automatically turn itself off after a set period of time. I suspect that the "timing-out" issue is not applicable to any of the above switches. Given their function, "timing-out" would not make sense.

As for chipped vs. stock, I'm thinking stock might be easier to control on rain/snow slick streets. (Not to mention trips to the dealership.) That said, I take your point and I'm looking forward to feeling chipped myself!

TGH

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I understand from my local VW parts counter that there are no "blank" fifth (i.e. ASR/ESP) or sixth (German Taxi) switches. Does anybody know if it's possible to make a "blank" by modifying one of these switches? I'm thinking along the lines of removing the switch cover and painting the back of it black so that the light doesn't show through. Also, how do the fifth and sixth switches indicate that they are engaged? Do either of them stay "indented" (pressed in) when activated or do they just illuminate the characters I intend to paint over?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the sixth switch does stay indented while engaged. I see your point about being able to switch programs but and with a blank switch it would be stealth.

Pete

[Modified by Bmpassat, 8:42 PM 2/22/2003]

<![CDATA[<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I understand from my local VW parts counter that there are no "blank" fifth (i.e. ASR/ESP) or sixth (German Taxi) switches. Does anybody know if it's possible to make a "blank" by modifying one of these switches? I'm thinking along the lines of removing the switch cover and painting the back of it black so that the light doesn't show through. Also, how do the fifth and sixth switches indicate that they are engaged? Do either of them stay "indented" (pressed in) when activated or do they just illuminate the characters I intend to paint over?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the sixth switch does stay indented while engaged. I see your point about being able to switch programs but and with a blank switch it would be stealth.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts