Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i where to install a turbo(1) in my v6 (how im gonna keep secret till im done) what would be a safe size turbo and what is the a safe PSI going from the turbo to the engine. . . .

How fast dose the turbo(turbine) spin at 3k/4k/5k/6k rpm. . . .

Would the engine's ecu change the fule to air mixture automaticaly, or am i going to have to have an ecu programed? if not i was planning on throwing a P-chip in there to help the engine timing and to get rid of that pesky gov.

-Digital
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Digital said:
If i where to install a turbo(1) in my v6 (how im gonna keep secret till im done) what would be a safe size turbo and what is the a safe PSI going from the turbo to the engine. . . .

How fast dose the turbo(turbine) spin at 3k/4k/5k/6k rpm. . . .

Would the engine's ecu change the fule to air mixture automaticaly, or am i going to have to have an ecu programed? if not i was planning on throwing a P-chip in there to help the engine timing and to get rid of that pesky gov.

-Digital
V6? Don't turbo. Supercharge.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/sha...at_28_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=PES_G2

but to answer your question, turbos spin up to and over 100,000 RPM.

yes you'll need your ecu reprogrammed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the reason im going turbo is because i don't have 4.5k to spend on a SC. . .

who can reprogram my ecu, could i use vag-com to change a few settings????? and were can i get a presure release vaule that opens at 8-9 psi, i need somthing that i can just drill a hole in the crome pipe b/t the turbo and intake on the engine.. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
you would need a boost controller (Greddy, Apexi, HKS) to controll the amount of boost. (the amount of boost is controlled by the turbo's wastegate, which restricts the amount of exhaust pushed past the exhaust turbine, not by bleeding off excess boost on the compressor end). I dont know what kind of compression the v6 runs... 10:1 maybe? But at that compression, you're prolly not going to want to run more than 6-7 psi, unless you want to detonate. Yes you will need a chip, prolly a custom one, or maybe an audi S4 prog could work, the settings you can adjust with a vag-com arent gonna cut it. You would also need an intercooler, BOV and tons of custom piping. In my experiance with turbos, i think you'd need all of that 4.5k to do this, and make it run right in any sort of way. hell, putting a gt28rs on my 1.8 cost me $3K! it might be a good idea to put a little more research into this before you go and start buying things.

anyway, a company called KTR performance converted their project S4 into a single turbo setup. They're running a Garrett GT-72. I personally saw this car at waterfest, and it was amazing. heres the site:
http://www.ktrperformance.com/gallery/Project_Cars/KTR_S4/s4_main.htm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Digital said:
well the reason im going turbo is because i don't have 4.5k to spend on a SC. . .

who can reprogram my ecu, could i use vag-com to change a few settings????? and were can i get a presure release vaule that opens at 8-9 psi, i need somthing that i can just drill a hole in the crome pipe b/t the turbo and intake on the engine.. . .
you're gonna need more money than that to turbo it. you're gonna have to throw a small turbo on each bank just like the 2.7T. i'd imagine that would cost way more than the s'charger kit. if you're gonna do all that, you might as well just buy an S4 or A6 2.7T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
....And...

How to keep it a secret:
:: leave the engine off and push it everywhere.
With the SC running you'll hear it... and more to the point.. when you depress he right most pedal w/ your foot you'll definately FEEL it.

Once you SC the v6 you'll then need to:
<> Mod the exhaust to take full advantage of the SC's new output.
<> Mod the suspention to keep safe

but all things in time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me think this out, and decie how much i want to spend and how much time i have to spend on this project. Ill let you guys know right now that i was planning on removing half th turbo (the part that powers it and connects to the headers) and replace it with a electronic motor. . . IM not looking for SC preformance just an extra 15-25 hp. . . . my goal is to get my car to run 230-240 hp (any more then that on a FWD car is not a good idea, to much torque steer) . . . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Digital said:
Let me think this out, and decie how much i want to spend and how much time i have to spend on this project. Ill let you guys know right now that i was planning on removing half th turbo (the part that powers it and connects to the headers) and replace it with a electronic motor. . . IM not looking for SC preformance just an extra 15-25 hp. . . . my goal is to get my car to run 230-240 hp (any more then that on a FWD car is not a good idea, to much torque steer) . . . . .
So let me get this right, your after just the compressor part of the turbo and to use it like a supercharger and power it with an electric motor.

So the problems i see are :

1. Finding an electric motor compact enough and strong enough to spin the compressor wheel to a high enough speed to create any reasonable boost.

2. Upgrading the electric system to cope with the power drain from the electric motor.

3. Getting someone to design and build a speed controller for your electric motor, that works with your ecu/engine speed to bring in the boost.

4. Upgrading the injection system/inlet system, pressure sensors, airflow meters.

5. Getting someone to be able to re-program your ecu.

6. Upgrading the exhaust system to reduce the backpressure.

Man there are a lot of things to think about and alot of things that would need to be one off designs made for your car and not just off the shelf.

I think the cost would far outweigh the gains on this project.

For the small gain in power your after, i would imagine you could add some standard upgrades to get close to that if not more, like :

Custom ecu reprogramming (i think a generic chip change gives you 12hp gain, so a custom rolling road/dyno program that works with the other mods i have suggested would reach your power goal, if not exceed it)

Induction Kit (+3-10hp depending on cost and design)

Freeflow exhaust system (+3-10hp depending on cost and design)

Ported and matched manifolds/heads/throttle bodies (+10-?)

Cam change

And the above is stuff you would have to do if you went your compressor route anyway and should be available off the shelf so to speak and be a whole heap easier and cheaper to do.

Your best bet would be to get in contact with some people that race the v6 or companies that build & tune the v6 engine and get their views.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top