Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was brought to my attention that the remotes are cheap on ebay and now we can get the keys for them. i was wondering how many of you guys would want some i just did this http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91770.so i guess let us know...i know it depends on price but i am sure it will be cheap or let me know what would be a low enough price and ill see what we have to do to get to it this is what you get but not cut .....
or if you guys want entire remote with blank i can see what i can do also

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slimebucket said:
For shizzill I would be down for that!

Let me know pricing and count me in as long as pricing is not out of the world!

Rich :)
well it wont be out of this world i should easy say it will be less then 24 shipped i hope

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am in for an uncut key. I have a 2003, will it fit? Can you also include instructions on how to take out the old and install the new. I called my local VW dealer and he stated programming will run me about 60 bucks. Is that uncalled for?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
agvariant said:
I am in for an uncut key. I have a 2003, will it fit? Can you also include instructions on how to take out the old and install the new. I called my local VW dealer and he stated programming will run me about 60 bucks. Is that uncalled for?
take out old and install new? im not sure i know what you mean? and programming can be done yourself but i a offering just what is in that pic

·
Registered
694 Posts
You may be correct (I don't pay that much attention because thankfully my '98 doesn't have it), but my understanding is that the marking indicating the immobilizer is right on the key itself. A 'W' with a line through it means no immobilizer; the ones with an immobilizer have a 'W' alone or with a number beside it and no line through it.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B5b4therest said:
You may be correct (I don't pay that much attention because thankfully my '98 doesn't have it), but my understanding is that the marking indicating the immobilizer is right on the key itself. A 'W' with a line through it means no immobilizer; the ones with an immobilizer have a 'W' alone or with a number beside it and no line through it.
my 98 doesnt have it either but i think the w thing is so you dont have to take the top of the remote apart to find out but who knows

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
im interested, jus need to see how my Ebay bidding turns out.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If it's 24 bucks for just the the blank key (no remote), it's a really good deal, seeing as any VW dealership would want 60 or so for a new key and to cut it for you. Best bet is (if you need new remotes) buy a key blank for however much you are gonna sell em for, buy a remote or remotes off ebay (I got 2 for 25 bucks) then get the keys recut and reprogramed. It's gonna be like 100 bucks to get each key cut and reprogrammed*...but it's better than spending 250-350 per key.

All I did was swap my key onto a remote I got off ebay, since the one that came with my car was held together by duct tape, and had dead batteries.

*What I mean by this is that VW can reprogram different remotes to have the same signal, because your car can only recognize up to 4 different remote signals, VW can turn all the remotes into one signal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.