Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ACTIVE: OBDII Port Relocation

As title states, looking to estimate the interest for a plug in (no splice) method to relocate the data port used for vagcom and other devices. Cable would have male/female connectors and sufficient length to relocate port to the passenger side of the center dash console in a spot more convenient to the user. I have an idea where I would like to place it near the duct on the passenger side of the center console, quick and easy. Many options however, under dash, ashtray compartment, center console, etc. No wire splicing will be necessary and mounting the new port can require some dremel work to make an approximate 1"-3" hole, but can be placed so that no cutting is necessary. Can really be made as temporary or permanent as the user wants.

I'll be ordering enough materials for about 10 and would expect them to be available for shipping around May 5. See April 27 post for pricing.

If interested or questions, post here or PM me. No payments will need to be made until I ship. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Sounds great! Are you making them? If not, who is? What kind of quality are they?

I've found a place for the port in the center console of my B5 under the rubber change tray next to the ebrake handle. The rubber thing even has the little CEL logo on it. Did the A4s put them there? I pulled the rubber thing up and it's perfectly molded for my VAG cable, as if they meant to put them there and changed their mind! A MUCH better place to plug into if you want to log data and drive. :D Keep us posted! :thumbup:

-Cody

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cody251 said:
Sounds great! Are you making them? If not, who is? What kind of quality are they?

I've found a place for the port in the center console of my B5 under the rubber change tray next to the ebrake handle. The rubber thing even has the little CEL logo on it. Did the A4s put them there? I pulled the rubber thing up and it's perfectly molded for my VAG cable, as if they meant to put them there and changed their mind! A MUCH better place to plug into if you want to log data and drive. :D Keep us posted! :thumbup:

-Cody
I'm assembling from OEM quality components. Volume just really not sufficient for purchase as complete unit.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm interested. I'd dearly like to have the port under the change tray in the center console. My car has the same punchout just waiting for it there. It would make datalogging while driving the car tons easier.

Ideally, I'd like the mod to be reversible so the car can be sold in the future without it. I'm unsure but I believe the port is where it's at for emissions reasons ie; the smog control officer has to be able to reach it without getting into the car. If you can deisng something that extends the original plug to a new location, that'd be right up my alley.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'm interested also - I would like mine relocated to the center console also... Something I been wanting to do for a while.

Doesn't the euro B5's have their ODBII port in this location [center console]? Thats what I always heard and that we [NA] need to have it in the area where it is now...

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scotaku said:
I'm interested. I'd dearly like to have the port under the change tray in the center console. My car has the same punchout just waiting for it there. It would make datalogging while driving the car tons easier.

Ideally, I'd like the mod to be reversible so the car can be sold in the future without it. I'm unsure but I believe the port is where it's at for emissions reasons ie; the smog control officer has to be able to reach it without getting into the car. If you can deisng something that extends the original plug to a new location, that'd be right up my alley.
The port will have 2 ears for mounting on a flush surface or the ears can be snipped and the existing cutout in the center console next to the change tray can be used. The cable length I'm planning is 1.5m which should be enough to get to any conceivable location.

This will be a fully reversible, plug in connection. The only part that would not be reversible is if your mounting location required cutting. The best choices to avoid this are to use the existing cutout as described above or screw mounted in the lower dash area on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
NUISANCE said:
Is there anyway you could make a splitter? I like to have my GIAC flashloader connected and do a vag scan at the same time.
Good idea. That way I don't need to explain to the service guy where my port is.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check on the splitter as an option. Are you picturing two ports, side by side, or in two different locations?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Personally, I was thinking that I would like keep one port in the stock location while the other would be be relocated to the center console between the front seats.

I guess if you make it where it could be in two different locations, I could make one location the stock location while the other would be in the center console. This configuration would allow others to either do what I want to do or they could make the ports side by side or two different locations... Just thinking out load. I'll stop now.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The relocated port will be a plug in connector to the existing port, so if you want to utilize the stock port, you'll just unplug the relocator from the stock port and tuck it out of the way.

I spoke with my technical adviser and you can't run two interactive devices simultaneously on the data line to the ecu. Something about BUS or some such technical jargon. You could have two devices "listening" at the same time but that wouldn't include vagcom or flashloader because they involve two way data transfer. Please excuse me if my technical description is not perfect.

I should have all materials by next Wednesday or Thursday, so I'm still on target for orders/shipping by May 5 at the latest.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
ONE8T said:
Something about BUS or some such technical jargon. You could have two devices "listening" at the same time .
Like when your wife is complaininga about something and your kid is talking to you at the same time . you can't understand a word they say ... :biglaugh:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ready to go! Pics below. Prototype has been tested and it works great. The connection to the existing port will be pretty flush to the underside of the dash and the cable exits at 90 degrees. The ears on the port side can be left on or easily clipped off depending on the mounting chosen. Location of the port will be up to the user, but I think the preferred location will be in the center console area between the shifter and the e brake. There is a rubber change strip thingy that pulls up and there is a cutout that fits the port. Running the wire from the existing port, behind the dash and to this location should not be very difficult and will require no cutting, fully reversible. Consoles may vary slightly from model to model, but as far as I know, they all have the cutout for the port, it's a European thing! An alternative is just to mount it in the lower dash area on the passenger side.

PRICING
$50 shipped to Cont U.S. for fully assembled cable, Paypal to "PM me" or money order only.

$35 shipped to Cont U.S. for components only with detailed assembly instructions. Basic wire stripping, crimping, soldering and sealing needed.

GB will be open to June 5, but I can begin shipping immediately from a component supply for 14 cables.

Any questions, post here, PM or email me. Thank you! :thumbup:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NUISANCE said:
Any chance of you making me one of those babies maybe 1 foot long?
Sure! I have the cable cut to approx 52" to handle the relocation point between the front seats, but could certainly do a shorter length. Let me know.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be putting more cables together this weekend. The 90 degree connector to the existing port really makes this work well. Post or PM any questions. Thanks! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts