Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working with a local fabricator to develop a full mandrel bent turbo back exhaust(testpipe, downpipe "cat-back") for my manual transmission Passat. Once the fitment is dialed in we will be selling kits. You will have choice on pipe size, cat or no cat, tip design, stainless or Aluminized, muffler, resonator, etc.

I would like to know what kind of interest there is out there for this product.

I am also seeking a stock down pipe for a tiptronic to facilitate fitment to those cars as well. I would like one in South Florida so I can pick it up but all will be considered. Anyone willing to help here would get a special deal on a finished product.

Ask any questions you like. I may not be able to answer them today but will in the next couple of weeks.

Zach

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to see the early interest. I should have the first fully welded kit for this weekend for fitting. Not sure if I will ever get to a v6 but we will see.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
the last person that tried this didn't do so well because the cost of shipping plus the ~$450.00 the shop wanted was the same cost of the TT system.

Once there is a ball park of shipping and fabricating, I may want to jump in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
An exhaust system is more than just bending some pipe and adding a muffler. Things people want... 1) power increase 2) sound quality 3) fit and finish 4) weight savings. I believe Milltek is the best available for the Passat, if you can clone the sound of that one and provide good dyno results, then you've got a winner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup!

Depending on price point and muffler options, I'd be interested. Would be looking for a quiet but better flowing & lighter exhaust for B5.5 AWM 1.8T manual. Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An exhaust system is more than just bending some pipe and adding a muffler. Things people want... 1) power increase 2) sound quality 3) fit and finish 4) weight savings. I believe Milltek is the best available for the Passat, if you can clone the sound of that one and provide good dyno results, then you've got a winner.

For sure it takes more than slapping a muffler on a pipe. The way we are putting it together with clean mandrel bends Borla mufflers, good welds with flanges in accessable spots and 16 gauge tubing to provide a good balance of lightweight and durability should hit all four of your suggestions. I don't think I will get dyno results soon but they will obviously be free flowing systems which is what is needed to make power. Especially on a turbocharged engine.

Zach

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depending on price point and muffler options, I'd be interested. Would be looking for a quiet but better flowing & lighter exhaust for B5.5 AWM 1.8T manual. Thanks!
There will be a few different mufflers to choose from. What kind of set would you like?
Better flowing and lighter are big goals we are working on.

Babadude "interested but auto tranny"

I have plans on doing an auto tranny version. It might be a bit though.

DerhsLacidar "Interested depending on the price. On a budget right now."

We should have pricing in a couple of weeks.

Zach

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still working on fitment. It all has to be done around six days of work plus husband duties. I hope to have it all finalized in a couple of weeks.

Zach

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
lets see the price because we all all tired of :crazy: when we want to :wrench: and get on our way:driving:

alright:poke:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lets see the price because we all all tired of :crazy: when we want to :wrench: and get on our way:driving:

alright:poke:
I here ya. I wish I was finished with development weeks ago. I may have to narrow down tip exit style. I was hoping to offer below bumper, hidden turn down or for people who want to cut a through bumper style. Now if I can only do one style would be your first choice?

Zach

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.