Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am thinking about selling my custom made Front Mount InterCooler for my '99 1.8T and I wanted to know if this is something that one lucky person might be interested in. :???:

The IC core measures 11x7x3 and the whole FMIC is 18" from input tube to output tube. It's not the largest FMIC out there, but it also doesn't have the added turbo lag the larger front mounts induce. This FMIC was designed by me to fit a Passat and works flawlessly. No leaks at all. This unit has lowered my IAT temps dramaticly as well.

The mounting brackets are welded to the end tanks and the whole thing mounts directly to the back of the front bumper bar. Four holes will need to be drilled and tapped into the bar to mount the IC solidly.

I am thinking about asking for $400 for the whole deal. Piping, silicone connectors and all. Let me know if this is of interest to anyone. Also, let me know what you might offer. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, with a little bit of work, this kit could be made to work with the later cars that had the pressure sensors built into the stock SMIC. It wouldn't be hard at all to make that happen.

Thanks! :) :)

:) 8)

·
Registered
739 Posts
How would it compare to a larger FMIC performance wise? Did you still feel a difference from the oe intercooler even though they are almost the same size? Also what is the diameter of the tubes? I am definately interested, but I am about two weeks away from having the $. So if you have no luck selling before then, you can get ahold of me here:

[email protected]

Thanks,

-Paul

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay guys. I was working this morning and busy this afternoon. I sent back all the PMs I got in. And yes, I was helping out Jonathan with a bit of customized C-Bar to fit on his S4. WORKS!!! HA! :lol: Add that car to the list as well.

Anyhow, the pipes are 2" OD. That's the stock sizing for our cars. Any larger and the air passing through would slow down too much.

As for the size of this IC, yes, it seems only slightly larger than a stock unit in the length and width dementions, but this one is 3" thick, not 2" like the stock side mount. So it does flow very well and works nicely. Also, the core was originally made by Speaco for Dodge. I know, I know, Mopar parts on a VW?! :crazy: :lol:

Anyhow, there are two guys very interested and I have sent back PMs to them.

This thread was originally posted to gauge interest. As of yet, I don't have the replacement for this IC in hand and the sale of this FMIC is dependent on the replacement. But that shouldn't take too long at all. And there's no way I'm putting the old stock one back on for a few days! :crazy: :lol:

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
Maybe you can expand your custom parts catalog. I am sure you could sell plenty.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is it true that you still got your Adelades (factory wheels) on your ride?!? :poke: :lol:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vwpwr said:
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is it true that you still got your Adelades (factory wheels) on your ride?!? :poke: :lol:
HA!!! no... your eyes are working propperly. But, if all goes well here in the next couple of weeks/days, maybe I'll be sporting a set of BBS CH 17 x 8.5 instead of those factory rollers!!!! :D :D :D

Though the 15" stock alloys haven't been too bad with the right tires on them. Looks are another thing though... :roll: :p

Anyhow, soon. And I'm still working out the details on the FMIC. Those I spoke to on PM's, bare with me.

How many balls can I have up in the air at once???? :roll: :p :lol:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hehehe, don't feel bad, my :b5: is completely stock. I'm having a better cash flow right now since I just rented my house and am making about 300 bucks off of it. Just got my tax return this past tuesday too, and that is going for rims and tires. I just need to check something first before I buy them, b/c since I'm not american, I'm here on a working visa, and the company I work for is trying to extend my visa for another 3 years, but the INS is being a splinter under my fingernail (since 9-11, you know the deal...). If the INS denys the petition for the extension of my visa, I will have to go back home, but hopefully everything will work out and I won't have to part my ride neither my house :( . Wish me luck in the meanwhile... :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
jomo3vw
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing