Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do you need this if we desire NO engine identification? I could care less if mine says anything.
Engine/drivetrain identification is an option for everyone, I was just trying to help Tiptronic drivers with visualization. Plus I have had a few responses already from Tip drivers wishing it were available to them, and it is, so an illustration would go a long way to answering their questions.

They are way cool pedals in just the patterns they offer, but if you like the engine identification, I am pleased to get it rolling, if you don't, that's cool too.

BTW, Vortex mods just clipped my wings on the post i put in their B5 classified forum, sending me this message:

"You need an advertising account on this site to solicit work. Please delete the contents of your thread and send a message to [email protected] to set up an account to sell here."

So I amended my post there to direct interesteds to PW. Maybe we'll get a few more converts.

And in the end, I got a few more pedal orders from VWV in a few short hours. Running list now:

1. keithwbloom — PW (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  2. pablitormDub
  3. L's4motion
  4. Jmacc
  5. 2k21.8T (5MT)
  6. Passhat10000
  7. swcrow (Tip)
  8. E CODE [Vortex] (Tip - 4Mo)
  9. thirtysixspokes [Vortex] (5MT)
  10. carbinevr7 [Vortex] (Tip) ?

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I haven't been paying attention to this for a little while, I just fired off a follow-up with pedal machinist to catch up. I will ask about B6 pedals too, I am sure we can make a pattern.

Interested in three-pedal MT setup or two-pedal A/T combo? Dead pedal?

Will post and notify all interesteds with updates as I receive them.

Running list now:

1. keithwbloom (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  2. pablitormDub (Tip)
  3. L's4motion (Tip)
  4. Jmacc (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  5. 2k21.8T (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  6. Passhat10000
  7. swcrow (Tip)
  8. E CODE [Vortex] (Tip - 4Mo)
  9. thirtysixspokes [Vortex] (5MT)
  10. carbinevr7 [Vortex] (Tip) ?
  11. Pratt (B6) ?
Do you need this if we desire NO engine identification? I could care less if mine says anything.
No need to have engine ID on pedals, it is elective by individual, not group. That being said, I think I am going to get them setup for me that way (V6-30V clutch-brake) on first set, so I will be able to photograph for you and you can all have better fodder for thought.

On another note, since I had weeks ago removed the OE plastic/rubber pedal covers to template the pedal surfaces/shapes themselves, I have since been too lazy to put them back on, which has led to a sore spot in the ball of my clutch foot from the now exposed and hard lower-left corner of the pedal. I predominantly wear moccassin-type slip-on loafers or otherwise thin-soled shoes, so it has given me pause to now consider the rubber inserts on the drilled pedals for comfort. Just a thought. You can easily determine if your driving style would leave your feet feeling sore by taking off your rubber pedal covers and driving around for a week. I suspect that A/T drivers will be non-plussed, however the three-pedalers might develop a sore spot like me and consider the same.

Keith

:driving:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I will ask about B6 pedals too, I am sure we can make a pattern.

Interested in three-pedal MT setup or two-pedal A/T combo? Dead pedal?

:driving:
Def interested in the competition set for a 3-pedal MT with dead pedal.

Question, it seems they all screw into the existing pedals, which is great (since the B6 has a very diffrent and more complex gas pedal than the B5s). But for the dead pedal, does it screw into the existing plastic DP or are the screws to go through into the metal of the car body?

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
But for the dead pedal, does it screw into the existing plastic DP or are the screws to go through into the metal of the car body?
I am not sure on this, I suspect the fasteners could go through the plastic DP and into floor pan, however it may not be advisable because of potential moisture/rust problems. I guess it could be achieved or avoided merely by the length of the stainless fasteners used.

I apologize to everyone for not keeping on top of this project, I will fire off an email to vendor this morning. I have been distracted in recent weeks getting my dead analog OnStar module replaced with a bluetooth 2.1 interface to my Android phone. I still have want for pedal covers though and it will slot in my priority list for dogged pursuit of perfection soon enough. I will update everyone when/if I hear back from machinist in the coming days.

Best,

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just sent a follow up to Anthony at AutoVation with urgency on group buy pricing and placed an order for my own set at full price to get a real bonafide sample set for better photography. I will call him directly if he doesn't respond today. I'll update this post later this weekend with a status. Sorry I have been distracted with other things the last few months.

:wrench:

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK, it seems that maybe my contact at Autovation is not there anymore, or answering email at the address given to me last fall. I am following up with a new contact, hopefully I can get them up to speed quickly.

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
OK, it seems I may have to source pedal covers from another manufacturer. I found this on another auto-related forum:

AutoVation Forum is CLOSED.

Due to Anthony Hensley's lack of response to customer's orders and ignoring this thread (he has logged in since the issues where brought to public attention), this forum is now shut down to any more new posts.

Anthony has also been removed as a moderator and can no longer edit or change anything that has been posted.

Unless Anthony chooses to contact and admin and correct the situation, AutoVation will be added to the Doghouse and deemed an untrustworthy vendor on this forum. BUYER BEWARE.
So I will pitch my designs to another fabricator as soon as I can track one down.

:banghead:

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
OK there has been some activity on this project this week. AutoVation seems prepared to make a batch of Passat B5.5 pedals with my order. I am confirming details, and I am putting my order in today or tomorrow. Can I get a show of hands again and a pedal config for those that are interested? Looks like cost for lightweight racing pedals with inserts will be about $135 including dead pedal, endurance weight with inserts will be about $165, also including dead pedal. Price is same for 5MTs and Tips. Prices include UPS ground shipping to U.S. addresses.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think I am getting the grid pattern with perimeter and inserts. The confirmations I am waiting on are 1) whether I can get the set with a smooth drilled gas pedal and a grid/perim/insert dead pedal; and 2) is he milling my set with the V6 and 30V on the clutch and brake pedals.

Oh and I also was trying to get confirmation that the mounting screw bores were machined flush and were not in the holes used for insert rubber nubs.

This guy is slow, so I may be the guinea pig, but if he is in fact making up additional sets on spec, then everyone who follows on should get theirs fairly quickly.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts