Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE 26 March 2012: First set/my own pedal covers expected to ship to me April 2nd. Will post pics as soon as I get them. — Keith

I just designed a set of custom aluminum clutch and brake pedals for my 5-Speed in a grid pattern with perimeter, "V6" machined on clutch pedal and "30V" machined on brake pedal ("V6 30V" machined on AT brake pedal).

Here's an illustration I comped up:

And for my turbocharged brethren:

Other styles are available. See the rest of the original post for more details. I am putting together the first order, please PM me or post with your interest!

Keith

[beginning of original post]

I have been working with AutoVation to pattern the shape and curve of some custom pedals specifically for our Passats. No more sets cobbled together from A4/Beetle/TT leftovers. We might even be able to get them machined with "B5" or "Passat" in them.

First, the eye candy. These are some of the styles available once I have finished the pattern with the manufacturer.

Audi A4/S4 "Competition"-style lighter/racing weight

"Grid"-style endurance weight (without perimeter)

"Insert"-style endurance weight

"Grid"-style endurance weight (without perimeter)

Custom curved to exactly match the Passat control pedals

• They come in two weights/thicknesses — lighter/racing weight and endurance weight.
  • There is an extended brake pedal pattern for automatics.
  • The grid pattern is available only in the endurance weight, and can be ordered with a perimeter/border (not shown).
  • Gas pedals are extended at the bottom towards brake pedal for better heel-toe braking. They are also finished smooth with every style for safety reasons.
  • The grid and competition patterns are not slippery when wet.
  • Base pedals are CNC-machined made from aerospace grade 6061 aluminium, aerospace grade Ti/6Al/4V Titanium is available.
The expected cost: With interest, about $115 shipped in the U.S. for light/racing weight, competition pattern with through holes and matte aluminium finish — including matching dead pedal (like the A4/S4 set aboive). Endurance weight sets would be slightly more, grid/insert styles and anodized finishes also slightly more. Ti/6Al/4V Titanium sets are wicked expensive.

If interest is shown from B5ers in Canada and EU, I will ask for prices calculated including shipping and customs to applicable destinations.

Of note: There is also a matching carpet protector that can be finished to match the pedals (not included in expected GB cost).

Anyone interested?

:lightsaber:

Bloomer

As of 26 March, running interesteds list now includes:

1. keithwbloom (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  2. pablitormDub (Tip)
  3. L's4motion (Tip)
  4. Jmacc (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  5. 2k21.8T (5MT + Dead Pedal)
  6. Passhat10000
  7. swcrow (Tip)
  8. E CODE [Vortex] (Tip - 4Mo)
  9. thirtysixspokes [Vortex] (5MT)
  10. carbinevr7 [Vortex] (Tip) ?
  11. Pratt (B6) ?
  12. radhoo (?)

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bump for the first six interesteds...

1. keithwbloom
  2. pablitormDub
  3. L's4motion
  4. Jmacc
  5. 2k21.8T
  6. Passhat10000
:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump for $50 carpet protector price when ordered with pedals. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
huh? I'm confused. What were you saying about them possibly putting "passat" on the pedals? maybe vertically on the dead pedal and on the accelerator? just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Passat logo or word is out because of trademark issues with VW, so I am thinking your choice of either 1. B5 or B5.5 or 2. V6 or 1.8T.

Of we do engine identification, those with MT could put 30V or 20V on clutch pedal too, and those with Tip could just put the combo on the wider brake pedal.

In any case, I would create the artwork so it looked like trunk badging font.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have any pictures of the pedals installed?
Anthony (at AutoVation) came up with these photos of competition-style pedals with custom coloring for an S4, he is looking for more installed pics of Audi/VW pedal fitments.

I am now leaning towards getting grid pattern with perimeter, "V6" machined on clutch pedal and "30V" machined on brake pedal ("V6 30V" machined on AT brake pedal). Here's an illustration I comped up:

And for my turbocharged brethren:

I am getting a price on these combinations, though I believe AutoVation will honor group discount regardless of uniformity in orders (that way everyone can select their own style and finish). He offered that if enough people elect for machining engine identification on clutch and brake pedal faces, he will not charge extra for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump for two more interesteds...
  1. keithwbloom (5MT + Dead Ped)
  2. pablitormDub (Tip) (x2?)
  3. L's4motion
  4. Jmacc (5MT)
  5. 2k21.8T (5MT)
  6. Passhat10000
  7. swcrow (Tip)
  8. E CODE [VWV] (Tip)

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK so you slushbox drivers, if you give me dimensions of your brake pedal, I'll mock up a few illustrations of engine identification or 4-Motion for your consideration.

Also, gas pedals cannot have any machining except drill-throughs (for safety reasons), so putting additional personalization on dead pedals may not look balanced in the end. Of course you could always have this machined into dead pedal:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts