Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on making a few carbon fiber belly pans for myself and a few local B5 members here in Colorado. If I can make and sell them for around $250 would anyone be interested in one?

I plan on using a temp resistant, UV protectant epoxy resin that would make them pretty strong and they should be much more resistant to damage than the stock belly pans and will not deform in shape like the aluminum pans on the market.

Let me know what you think. I should be able to post pics of my prototype in 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not a group buy. I am just checking to see who is interested in something like this. Since it will be a B5 part, I want to start a general discussion on this.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Not sure if I want to be the one to say it as I really have little interest - but don't you think that a relatively brittle material like carbon fiber would be a horrible choice for an application like this? The benefit of stamped aluminum or even plastic is they'll take a lickin' and keep on ticking, which CF will definitely not do. Aluminum is a perfect choice for this type of thing. CF will crack or tear the first time you runover a piece of re-tread. Or is the point just to add some bling?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
jwil said:
jeffsu350 said:
yeah, not to be rude, but feelers are also part of the group buy sections

pack your bags
So, following this logic a thread titled "Feeler: should I get some BBS wheels" would go in Group Buys? :roll:

well, when its a feeler for selling a quantity of things to a group, or having a group of people buy things from you

but you already knew that, sorry for mis-speaking[/b]

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think macabre brought up a good point. It's been a while since I learned about composites (fiberglass, CF, kevlar), but I'm not sure if CF is good choice for the belly pan application. The epoxy may add some toughness, but CF is pretty brittle, especially in bending and shear.

Don't know if you considered using kevlar fiber, or perhaps a kevlar/carbon fiber blend? Kevlar will add toughness for sure... but it also depends on the fiber orientation as well.

All the above is if you consider strenght and toughness as important factors... Of course, if bling-bling is all you want, then go nuts! Oh yah, and $250 seems pretty reasonable.

Anyone think lexan would be a good substitute? Light, tough, and transparent in its 'natural' state... though not sure about reaction to oil/grime, etc...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ALFRED said:
I'm running without a belly pan! So HA! :p No, but really, I think CF would be prone to cracking with the road debris out there. I'm with Mac on this one.
Well to address this question (we were thinking along the same lines) we will not be using prepreg CF, which is CF that you cook and the prepregnated resin stiffens it. Instead, we are looking at coating it completely with epoxy resin. This will add the resistance to impact that carbon fiber itself does not have.

We could also make them out of the CF/Kevlar weave to make them extra strong, but unless you are ultra low and go off roading or own an Allroad, this would not be necessary and would most likely be cost prohibitive (~$500 per pan).

To address the other question, I am gauging demand for something like this, not seeing who is ready to buy one, which is why it is posted here. When the prototype is ready, I will post here and point to a link in the GB section.

Keep the questions rolling. I appreciate everyone's opinions and want to cover everything anyone can think of.

Thanks,
Winston

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
It'll add impact resistance, but the first time you hit anything hard enough, it make a loud bang and has the possibility to shatter into a million pieces (espeically with high epoxy content)....rather than just make loud bang. :p

I'm not sure why everyone feels the stock one should be replaced. The mounting mechanism sucks, yes, but it does its job. I think looking into replacing that ghetto rear bar holding it with something a little more substantial and replacing the "quick release screws" with something more reliable would be the path to take. Although then your belly pan won't be really "quick release" anymore. :sad:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I know I'm in for one and at the price for what he's offering, you can't miss. From where I've priced, it's $400+ for a factory belly pan. My belly pan is toast...it's just sitting in a few pieces in my garage.

I'm not so sure that the difference in durability is going to be so different that it will matter. If you hit something hard enough to bust your CF pan, you'll probably kill your plastic pan as well.

I'm sure also that the prototype will be well tested for durabililty and toughness...smashing with hammers and stuff...
...hey, that sounds like fun...I wanna help :lol:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
All you have to do is watch a F1 race.....CF shatters into tons of very sharp tire shreding shards.

I do like the idea of a Lexan one. Would need some good support as its pretty flexible and you dont want a "womp" sound when going over bumps! Better have a clean engine bay to! :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.