Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 20,000 service is coming up. Leith VW is the stealership I'm considering. I could go to Southern States in Durham, it is so convienient yet I have heard many horror sotries about them and refuse to go there.

What is Leith like? How was your experience with them? If there are independents that you would highly recommend for B5.5 work in the RDU area, please let me (and all of us here) know. TIA

·
Registered
189 Posts
Whatever you do...whatever...DO NOT GO TO SOUTHERN STATES...

of Durham. They are the biggest jackasses of all. I've heard much better things about Leith VW. However, I do not go to any of them anymore. I found an awesome...AWESOME...private mechanic in Durham that has been very impressive. His name is Brad Moyer, he owns his own shop called The Digital Chassis, his number is 3847070, and tell him that Edward, the guy with the grey passat sent you, and he'll treat you right every time. Another thing, is that he has an immaculate garage, and he only works on one car per day, which means he takes his time with yours.

He works mostly on Porsches, but basically will tackle anything European. He did my suspension, brakes, hoses, and my services...he's also one of the Tirerack guys. In fact, he's doing my 50000 mi service as we speak. I dropped it off to him at 8am, he dropped me off at work, and he'll pick me up when I'm ready.

Ed

Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you must go to a dealer, Maxwell VW in Burlington is great. No drama, just great service, they know how to take care of customers. The dealers in the Triangle are no good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Having long been disgusted with Southern States of Raleigh (I had heard Durham was better? Guess not) I was happy to try Leith VW in Aug for my 10k service.

I've found them to have nicer facilities, willing to schedule actual appts (vs. show up at 7:30 and wait with everyone else approach at SS), and much nicer.

Saldy, they appear to be equally incompetent. The same issue I had with SS, a lack of attention to detail.

At my 10k visit (in Aug), I also asked for one trim plate to be replaced (cracked in summer heat).. that "one" service stretched into January, with ~ 9 return visits, due to

- radio being scratched when trim plate installed (it took going back to the Service manager (who was out that day) before they agreed to replace it)
- oil leak after oil change (no crush washer at drain plug)
- overfilling of 1.8T after oil change (can no dealership get this right???)
- anti-freeze not being topped off as asked (to stop the winter morning gurgle.. it did improve a lot after I went back for the top-off)
- replacement radio not making good ground, ergo door alarm system no longer beeping to indicate it was "happy"

Again, nice people, nice facility, but dang it, I want to find somewhere that I can drop my car off, have it serviced, and not have to check behind them when I get it back. Leith _might_ even have loaners (I've seen them but not sure how you qualify for them). SS will just laugh at you for that idea.

The Leith parts guy was decent enough to just slide me a spare fuse (SS charged me the $0.86 and prob spent that much generating all of the paperwork).

So I guess they are "better" than SS, but "better" is relative. If you are already in Durham, I've always heard good things about Maxwell out in Burlington (Still a drive, but closer for you than me).

While I have not used them in years, West German on the Cary/Raleigh border was pretty good, and I miss no opportunity to ding Triangle European for actually being so bad at settingthe timing that it was the only time I ever was thankful for the service at Southern States (fixed in 1 hr what TE could not in 5 return visits and many un-needed parts).

All in all a disappointing story for VW service in this area.

Mike

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I bought my Variant from Leith, and have been generally pleased with their service so far. Keep in mind I'm not even at my first oil change yet, but I have been a couple of times to have some initial trim issues worked out. (Clogged rear washer, fogged taillight.) They are friendly, and they were ready to start working exactly at the time of my appt. I have had no issues getting an appt. with them, usually only a 1-2 day wait. We'll see how the first oil change goes...

SirWired

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
And oh, yeah, when I needed some black plastic bits that were destroyed in an unfortunate incident w/ a traffic cone, Hugh at the Leith parts counter took good care of me...

SirWired

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well... Here goes... I am willing to relive my experience one last time..... :nervous:

It was a Tuesday (I rememebr it well - maybe it was a Thursday) anyway - All I needed was a package of touch-up paint. I went to the parts counter at Leith VW. Nice people. "No. Sorry. We don't have it in stock but, we can order it for you. Should take a couple of days"... Fine. No rush. Just call me when it is in, I said. That Friday. Mobile Phone Rings..." Sir, your paint is in." GREAT! Sounds like a good reason to leave work early. I get to see those anoying little scratches on the car go away and begin my weekend a few hours early!!! Thats when things started to turn ugly. :nervous: I get to the parts counter. There is this little sign that reads: "Please forgive the inconvenience. Ring Bell for assistance" I notice that there is a little bell next to the sign. I am kewl with that. Its hard to be at all places at all times. So, I ring the bell. Then I hear this little voice. Some distance away.."I'll be with you in a minute." I take him on his word and wait one minute. Nobody. I ring the bell again. No responce. I ring it LOUDER. Still no one. I beat the bell after 5 minutes. Same little voice... Far off... "Be right with you." Now its been about 8 minutes. Peolpe with "VW" on their shirts are walking by. I am getting a little hot under the collar. I bang Bell...DING< DING< DING>.. Still No one. I am thinking...He could be Old...Deaf...One Leg... Possibly Dead. Cause there can not be any other way that he could not hear that DARN bell. I have had hit! It has been 15 Minutes that I have wasted of my life with this Stinking Bell!!! I storm into the Shop managers office... (which sits pretty close to the parts counter - how he missed all the Bell Dinging, I do not know) I Blast him about customer service. And that if I had left a customer of mine like that, that Customer would be somewhere else right now. Firther more, I will be taking my business somewhere else from now on! I storm out! Pissed but, felleing a bit better for the venting. I decide to go back to my office and share my happiness with my fellow employees.... The phone rings. Its Mr. Parts Manager. He offers to throw himself on his sword for having such a nit-wit working for him. He then tries to rationalize his being short staffed.... "the mechanics were manopolizing parts guys time...Blah, blah, blah." He offers to give me the part for free... $8 Part. I explain that I stood there for 15 minutes. My time is worth much more to me than that! And the cost of the part is NOT the issue. Its customer service!!!

Next day...Saturday. Nice quiet day with my 4 year old son. I have calmed down. I decide to suck it up and head over there to pick-up the paint. We head over to the parts counter... I stat to sweat. There it is. The BELL. Before I can ring it.... out comes Part Boy. Paint in hand. Looking like he just spent a few hours licking boots but, he has my paint in hand. He offers the part for free. I explain that I would rather pay for the part.. He insists... Carter (my 4 year old) sees all the neat "toys" on display.. Hats, toy cars, stuffed pillows, CDs, etc... Part Boy: "If you like, he can have one .... Its free....to make up for the trouble earlier".. Carter...eagerly picks up the $85 Phaeton Model... No, no....I say. He changes his mind and happily picks up a stuffed New Beatle. Then Parts Boy gives me a copy of the VW Driving CD... (I did not like it. If you call my office, you can hear it on our "hold music"). All for free. And we got donuts while waiting! So, Here we are. Saturday Monring. I am at peace with the world. I have music, have paint, have happy kid (with stuffed VW) and donuts. They made good. then I go home...Pull out the paint...Its Nebia Blue.... My car is elegant Green.... AAAAaarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They made good on it. By the next Friday, I had the right paint. I was happy again... The Sun was shining. Birds are singing..... I would and do go back there for parts and service when needed. They are good people. Sometimes they forget about customer service but, hey who doesn't. I would just rather it be someone else who gets to experience it. So give them a shot. But, look out for that BELL.

Sal :crazy:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is why I like ClubB5 so much. I realy did not expect that many responces to this thread. All of you fellow RTP B5 owners have outdone yourselves. :thumbup:

If anyone else has comments....I'm all ears (I mean eyes).. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went to Southern States of Durham about 3 months for a pollen filter. I get to the parts counter and the guy asks "How do you spell that?" (he was serious).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a 4 week old owner of a '99 1.8T sedan in Cary, NC. I have been asking around about repair shops in the Cary/Raleigh area. I have a very good friend who swears by Crickets in Cary. They are on West Chatham near the Circus restaurant. I am going to bring my car there soon to have the 40k service. I bought mine with 44k on it. The original owner never had it done.

I'll post a follow-up.

BTW, have any of you guys fixed the AM radio reception in your ride?

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
LOL, never thought of Crickett.. they have been there FOREVER (and a day), but with the # of wrecked cars they had out front, always assumed that was their forte. Please let us know how they do.

Mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
For Real Work (Timing belt, Water Pump, Clutch, Etc) I use Carolina Imports. They are on Capital Blvd in Raleigh. I had a Porsche 944 for 10 Years and now have a 99 1.8T B5. They do all the work on my cars. Craig is the Owner and has always been honest. I have never used Crickett... I thought they were a 4X4 Specialty Shop.... :???:

Sal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
[email protected]
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing