Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know who has installed the CPP adjustable control arms and if the steering response, feedback and overall handling were vastly improved. Would you recommend this upgrade?

I'm looking to significantly improve the handling and steering response and Feedback on my 2KB5. The car already has the following suspension mods:

* ECS Heavy Duty Tie Rods (Made by MEYLE)
* Lowered 1.5" on Koni Adj. and Neuspeed Sports.
* Neuspeed 28mm Front Sway Bar.
* AutoTech Rear sway bar.
* A6 Upper Tie Bar.
* CHAS Lower Tie bar

Thanks in advance,your thoughts are appreciated.
Sam...

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Oh, where have you been? :poke: :)

Best current recommendation is to only install the uppers. You get most of the benefit w/o the harshness.

The Swami and Scuba2001 have done this and they LIKE it. StarlightB5 did it, liked it, but it wasn't exactly what he wanted so he sold them to Steve (Scuba). There may be one or two more who have done it. I'm going to do it as soon as mine wear out (I'm at 99K and they are still going strong).

A Group Buy was started but IIRC it died from lack of interest...

Please someone correct me if I have any of this wrong...

And :thumbup: :thumbup: on your suspension mods to date! Except I don't understand the front sway bar... you may find that the car handles better (less understeer) with the OEM front sway.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the CPP arms and tie rod ends and have been very pleased with the setup. There is an increase in how much of the road you feel but I do not consider it to be harsh. Having said that if I was to do it again I would most likely not use the CPP tie rod ends, not for function sake but rather for $$ sake. It also was nice to get a proper alignment and have the ability to adjust my setup if needed.

For comparisons I have 00' 1.8t wagon 5spd, koni, AWE DTS bar, Eibach pro-kit, Neuspeed rear sway 28mm, and still on the factory 15's

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys... exactly the info I'm looking for.

Yeah RUSTY... I knew some guys had done them but I was not sure exactly who they were. The uppers were what I had in mind so your thoughts are right on the money.

As per your comment on the front sway, I've tried running with and w/o it and I just recently re-installed it. I'm still figuring out how I like the handling best. Maybe in the winter I'll run w/o it. KUDOS on making B5OTM :thumbup: Always loved your ride.

Smith45...Is there a noticeable response in the steering feedback? What was the improvement that you liked the most???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes there is an increase in steering feedback and road feel, you can feel much more of the road charecteristics. The main reason I went w/the CPP arms was my originals had 70k on them and I could not get a proper alignment on my car and I was looking for a rebuildable part rather than disposable.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Looks like you have a pretty nice suspension mod list.

If you are interested in the CPP arms talk to Darren at New Dimensions. He was able to get the arms for $595 from Dave at CPP. Im not sure, but you may also be able to order the arms from NGP in Maryland but I cant be certain. If you have questions and want to read up on some stuff, check out www.customperf.com for the CPP details.

I had the same problem with smith45 and not being able to get a true alignment. I am lowered about 2.25" all around with my KW V1's and the road feel and response is wonderful. I now have 107,100 miles on my Passat, and at 106k I replaced the upper arms. I have some suspension chatter which could be from the lower joints giving out. Tie rods still look brand new. Sway bar links were also changed at the same time of the upper arms were installed. Once I get the little chatter fixed, Ill be a happy man. For all I know, it could be from my failing drivers side cv axle.

If you want to see pictures and some of my install notes, please check the link below. http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82872

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve.. I read up (and printed) your link with the installation notes and pictures and called up New Dimensions right after, I had to go for the pricier Stainless Steel units as I'm in the snow belt.

I should have my units by Monday (wish I had done my research earlier, would have had 'em installed in time for Waterfest.. :)

KUDOS for that Awesome thread you posted. So is it gonna be You, The Swami, Rusty and myself with the CPP install? I can hardly wait. I will post my review and thoughts after the installation.

Thnx again,
Sam...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.