Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out with some fault codes?
There are from a friend of mine's car. It's a B5 (I think it's a 99) V6 manual FWD.
17539 - Oxygen (Lambda) sensor B2 S1 Internal resistance too high
P1131-35-10 --- intermittent

17521 - Oxygen (Lambda) sensor B2 S1 Internal resistance too high
P1113-35-10 --- intermittent

16805 - Warm up catalyst: Bank 1 efficiency below threshold
P0421-35-10

16815 - Warm up catalyst: Bank 2 efficiency below threshold
I didn't get the P code

17831 - Secondary air injection system: bank 1 Insufficient air flow
P1423-35-00

17819 - Secondary air injection system: bank 2 Insufficient air flow
P11411-35-00

It looks to me like the front 02 sensors are out. I'm not sure if the airflow and cat issues are because of the sensor issues though. Maybe the throttle body needs a good cleaning??? I hope the cats aren't bad because she doesn't work and her husband is deployed and bad cats are NOT cheap.

Ideas anyone???

Thanks in advance.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
There are from a friend of mine's car. It's a B5 (I think it's a 99) V6 manual FWD.

system could be running too rich, however its not throwing the too rich code (P1137).... check the vaccum lines, likely there is a leak.... Mainly the one that comes out of the intake manifold

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could some bad vacuum lines cause all these problems?? that would be nice if it was. i can do vacuum lines all day long. i'll ask her how her mileage has been since the light came on.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
the secondary air injection ones are most likely the o2 sensors....

the oxygen (lambda) sensor is probably a combination of the o2 sensor and a vacuum line.

·
Registered
69 Posts

16805 - Warm up catalyst: Bank 1 efficiency below threshold
P0421-35-10

16815 - Warm up catalyst: Bank 2 efficiency below threshold
I didn't get the P code

17831 - Secondary air injection system: bank 1 Insufficient air flow
P1423-35-00

17819 - Secondary air injection system: bank 2 Insufficient air flow
P11411-35-00

It looks to me like the front 02 sensors are out. I'm not sure if the airflow and cat issues are because of the sensor issues though. Maybe the throttle body needs a good cleaning??? I hope the cats aren't bad because she doesn't work and her husband is deployed and bad cats are NOT cheap.

Ideas anyone???

Thanks in advance.

Paul :thumbup:

I would suspect you have a broken vac line or lines between the Secondary air solenoid valve and the combi valves (do this first, they are both on the same vac circuit and would fail to open at the same time) make sure they are operating properly, if the vac lines are fine make sure the pump itself and the solenoid valve is actually operating. Clear codes then see if the resistance codes pop again for the 02's if so replace them. The cats are more than likely fine.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^^sweet. i should be able to knock out lines in no time. are these formed vacuum lines or would i use some bulk vaccum line?

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^^^sweet. i should be able to knock out lines in no time. are these formed vacuum lines or would i use some bulk vaccum line?
it will more than likely be the braided hose that has gone bad if this is what the issue is just go to the dealer and get a meter or two of vac line its about $10 a meter

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
if they are the cats, source the canadian ones...they're a helluva lot cheaper. they're technically not carb legal, but they should work the same.

but yeah, check the vacuum lines first, then try the front o2 sensors.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Start with the vacuum lines. Bulk is fine, you will need a bunch (10' or so) to change them all. There are a bunch of short ones just above the throttle body and then several long plastic ones that tend to snap. There may be a diagram under the hood for the vacuum lines, there is on mine.

After that, be sure the evap purge valve is working. Until the O2 codes clear, the cat code is not worth worrying about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts