Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have the code 17521 that appeared on my car this morning.
It says:
17521 P1113 035
Bank1, sensor 1
Internal resistance too large.

Problem is I don't have my bentley at home with me on break. So if someone could please find me some info on the code that would be awsome. I think its the first O2 sensor.

Adam

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
17521 :

Check oxygen sensor heating before catalytic converter Page 24-17

Procedure for checking it is a touch long to include here. To touch on it:

Test requirements

-Fuse no. 34 must be OK.
-Battery voltage must be at least 11.5 volts.
-Fuel Pump (FP) relay must be OK.

Test sequence

- Connect VAG1551 scan tool (VAG1552). Start engine and select the Engine Control Module (ECM) using address word 01. (connecting scan tool and selecting ECM Page 01-20 )

Rapid data transfer HELP

Select function XX

Indicated on display:

- Press buttons -0- and -8- to select "Read measuring value block" function 08. Press -Q- button to confirm input.

Read measuring value block HELP

Enter display group number XXX

Indicated on display:

- Press buttons -0-, -4- and -1- to select "Display group number 41". Press -Q- button to confirm input.

Read measuring value block 41

1 2 3 4

Indicated on display: (1 to 4 display fields)

Only engine code ATW

- Check resistance of oxygen sensor heater in display fields 1:
Specification: Less than 2 k

Continuation for all engine codes

- Check status of oxygen sensor heater in display field 2: Display: Htng.bef.Cat.ON/OFF

If the indication remains constant at OFF:

After this it's all multimeter testing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same fault code. Can tell me which side of the engine (looking from the front of the car) is Bank 1.
Also, where exactly is the O2 sensor located. Is it hard to replace the O2 sensor by yourself ?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Do you have a 1.8T?

Look at your turbo. Directly behind it is the catalytic converter. You'll see the front O2 sensor attached to the top of it. Very easy to replace but not if you want the harness routed the same as OE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
JDigga said:
Do you have a 1.8T?

Look at your turbo. Directly behind it is the catalytic converter. You'll see the front O2 sensor attached to the top of it. Very easy to replace but not if you want the harness routed the same as OE.
No I have a V6. I understand that theres two O2 sensors infront of the catalytic converter, one on the left and one on the right. Im just not sure which one is the faulty one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SunVic
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing