Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to VAG my B5 for the first time last night (with my own setup). We have been having intermittent CELS (emissions workshop) since we got the car. Every time I have had it VAGed it tells me I have an emissions system problem. I was suspicious that it was an exhaust leak. Not so. It's not a big deal as I suspected but it's not an exhaust leak.

So it turns out that I need to change the EVAP purge valve. I would like to buy the part and do it myself and then do a writeup on it when completed.

If anyone has done this previously might they give me some advice? Are there any complications, tricks or other issues to be aware of? I know roughly where the cannister is but a picture would also be of help. I do not have a Bentley manual.

I'm going to do this work on a 2000 V6 variant, manual e.c. ATQ. TIA for any advice! :thumbup:

My VAGtool also was registering a rough idle and a misfire (cyl4 & 6). It is idling roughly but the misfire ends once idle has settled. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong? I plan on doing a full timing belt job in a month or so.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
The valve is right there to the rear of the airbox.

One hose going in, same size hose going out, with a two pin electrical connector in the middle.

You'll need a couple of new hose clamps-one for each hose.

The valve is probably stuck open by your description. You'll need to replace the valve before you can truly diagnose the misfire issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same intermittent CEL. I found the valve, removed the pipes going to it, examined it and didn't find it to be stuck open. I then knocked it around to see if any carbon would come lose. Not much did.

I stuck it back on and turned the car on and listened for the rapid clicking noise that indicates a working valve, about 15 seconds after the car had been started, it started to click as usual.

A couple of car starts later the CEL cleared itself.

So before you go replacing your valve, make sure you hear no clicking with the engine on.

Regards

·
Registered
45 Posts
So did you replace it? I got the CEL back on when I was sitting in stop-n-go traffic in Boston. So gonna replace the sucker if you did and got good results. If you did replace it, how much did it cost?

Regards

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine's been doing this for over a year or so. Happens every two to four weeks, usually after a long run in commuting to work. I clear the code and keep on going. Dealer didn't seem to know which version valve was needed and quoted prices of $60-80. I like the idea of trying to clean it. Maybe soaking it in some solvent or trying WD-40. Anyone have success?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.