Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the CA are replaced, new axel in the front right, new shocks and springs. Put the car up three days ago and made sure all the bolts are tight.

Out of the blue (the car was running great on Saturday, all the work was done over 9 days ago), on Sunday, there is a very bad shake when I accelerate. It is to the point, the front end feels like might fall off.

And ideas what to look for (visually, everything looks good)?

There is nothing while cruising and the engine revs fine with out miss fires.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Are you saying it's misfiring under load? Any codes?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No codes, No CEL.

I checked the Coils and they are all giving spark. New Plugs as of Wednesday last week. Problem started Sunday morning.

Feels like it is not from the engine because it revs in 'N' with out issues.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
Geoff.....at what speed inparticular? Seriously. Where did you get the axle from? If it wasn't an OEM/raxle.....my money is on the axle. Reason? I went through 4 different BRAND NEW axles (EMPI/whatever else brand there is) from Delta V.....all gave me baaaaaaad shaking during ANY acceleration.

I vote axle before anything else.

see a trend?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will feel a shake with the cruise control on and while going up hill, but it becomes more violent when I try to go faster.

Is there a way to find out which axel failed? Both fronts are aftermarket axels replaced at two different places.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
nope. Trial and error really. Do one at a time and I hate to tell you brother, but go with raxles or OEM. You'll never get it straight just getting a "new" aftermarket. Like I said....went through 4 brand new aftermarket until I said enough and got OEM. Jeff absorbed cost cause he recognized they were all bad.

Here's a question though....did it JUST start happening? Then go with THAT specific axle that was JUST replaced.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Pulling up a hill or throttling up to accelerate the vehicle is when the torque-load on the axles is higher.

Stick your hand behind the wheel and grab an axle. Shake it around to see if you can cause it to move around.

Check the torque on the bolts holding the inner joint to the trans output flange. Those bolts have been known to mysteriously loosen up.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
what was the last thing done to your car , then before that..go back to when it started and what you did..if anything.
I would say axles if you went with cheap solid axles.
how many times did you read about that????
recheck the axle bolt and inner bolts.
are the rims tight? did you use a gun on them? that is a no no
it can be quite a few things that you did or didn't do.
does it only do it at a certain speed or certain rpm or all around?
more info may help us help you.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CA where all done by hand with a torq wrench. (the shocks and springs where done by hand too.... LONG day that was.).

I am thinking the axel is the issue. Sadly, their two day shipping might not be fast enough for my trip to FL, so i might have to rent a car for this trip now.

recheck the axle bolt and inner bolts. (Done and tight)
are the rims tight? (used a 3' breaker bar with torq meter)
does it only do it at a certain speed or certain rpm or all around? (Only under heavier load then cruising. Regardless if it is a 20mph or 80mph)

I made an appointment at Delta V. for a few reasons, i can't get the car up very high here at home (with the car up, I have about 1.5' of room between the car and the wall of the garage) and it is COLD!

I have heard of folks having issues with axels, but the front left on was a aftermarket from Delta V and it hasn't failed (yet). I think I'm going to invest the $180.00 per axel to get the Raxels... Just really bad timing.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just got done taking the wheel off again.

The passenger's side of the car axel have about a 1/8" of a left to right movement. I thought this is normal. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
you mean in and out movment? Yes, fine.

Wheels, shocks, CAs will not cause a shaking on acceleration. Only an axle or other part of the transmission will.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
normal for aftermarket axles maybe. My stock 105K mile axles might have that much play.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took off the other side and tried to shake the driver's side axel and it didn't move period... Scott is right, the axel when on it.

now it is too late to buy a Raxel to get here in time to be installed before i leave for vacation. Anyone have a extra passanger's side axel laying around. :) lol

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
no, but I did drive on my vibrating axle for almost 3 week until I was able to pull it off. 60 miles a day. Take that how you want.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
no, but I did drive on my vibrating axle for almost 3 week until I was able to pull it off. 60 miles a day. Take that how you want.
he also had every woman in the neighborhood in the car loving it;)

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
Like a washing machine on spin cycle babay!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I vote axle too. It took mine a few days to start shaking then it got worse. If money is a factor I replaced my 60 dollar axle from Autozone with a 25 dollar one from the junkyard and 25,000 miles later still going strong!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
25 dollar one from the junkyard and 25,000 miles later still going strong!
something to think about...

@ VAGGUY
if i wasn't doing a 1,800 round trip, i would just deal with it. I might just rent a car so I can keep the 'girl climax mod' installed.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
he also had every woman in the neighborhood in the car loving it;)
:rofl:

what was the last thing done to your car , then before that..go back to when it started and what you did..if anything.
I would say axles if you went with cheap solid axles.
how many times did you read about that????
recheck the axle bolt and inner bolts.
are the rims tight? did you use a gun on them? that is a no no
it can be quite a few things that you did or didn't do.
does it only do it at a certain speed or certain rpm or all around?
more info may help us help you.
X2

1 - 20 of 24 Posts