Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Genius...
Oh jeez where do I start?
A while back (December I bought my Passat non runner for cheap Blah blah blah get it running.)
A few details:
Last owner, ^&%^&%$&0????.
Current owner, not much brighter. ????????
So after spending tons of money to get this thing going I get 300 miles on it and am literally 2 days away from replacing the timing belt and related when......
Head gasket blows because water pump impellor breaks along with having no thermostat (didn't know till too late).
I replace head gasket, while I'm doing this, stupid me (surprise surprise) wants to listen to the radio so as you can guess I'm behind the alternator replacing the coolant pipe (jamming out to classic rock) and thermostat when the socket wrench contacts the lead to the back of the alt and ZAP! Now I had already bought one damn ecu with immob delete to get this car running in the first place. Not wanting to bother others here on PassatWorld with my ignorant BS like I did last time, I bought a vcds cord. Annddd... I can't get this thing restarted. All cylinders hold over 101 (COLD of course BECAUSE I CAN'T GET IT STARTED) I don't know a rock from a hole in the ground and am completely NOT computer savvy/literate. I got this car running with help from a few people kind enough to help me on this forum. I have a tendency to ramble and am annoying af so just a heads up. My vagcom/vcds has come back after running tests and had 1's and 6's for the results of immobilizer, starting and other interconnected components. I'm thinking I need someone with a vagtacho cable to help.

I failed to mention this:
After the ZAP and before I bought the vcds, the "immobilzer activated" was on my dash again so I bought yet another ecu with immob delete after seeing this. Here's the fun part: (What, you thought you'd heard it all already? Nope.) Before the newest ecu with delete came, I got to thinking about something. I had bought a new key fob and switched everything over save for the stupid little transponder before I replaced the last ecu so after that ZAP and the resulting "immob activated" coming up, my smart self thinks about this missing transponder while doing research and puts it in the fob and guess what? It makes the flashing key light go off and "immob active" is gone BUT... my f-ing car still wont start. I'll hook up vcds and run everything tomorrow and get the results. Till then, anybody have any magical fixes for my stupidity, aside from a lobotomy? My fuel pump is not priming either I've noticed. Also anyone near Washington NC with a vagtacho cable? I have the computer, it's inside and a desktop but I do have a long enough usb cord to reach vcds that I hook to my car so I just need a little help. I'll PAY. Get my damn car running and I'll really pay. No not thousands, if I had that I'd but a new VW.... no I wouldn't. Even if you have the cable and not the software , I can get the software online I believe. There's one on ebay. I'd rather pay someone with brains to do this than monkey with it myself.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
fuel pump only runs for a few seconds, Turn key ,ecu sees this via relay, I think realy is either #12 or #13, on the 13 position aux. relay panel, one of those is an immobizer so with your "delete" is a mute point, ECU then turns on for a few secs. the fuel pump relay (#4 on central relay panel). It uses #28 fuse. The fuel pump does not come on every time you turn the key on, there is a built in time/sequence delay. You might have to wait five or ten minutes, somebody can chime in here as to time delay I am just guessing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fuel pump only runs for a few seconds, Turn key ,ecu sees this via relay, I think realy is either #12 or #13, on the 13 position aux. relay panel, one of those is an immobizer so with your "delete" is a mute point, ECU then turns on for a few secs. the fuel pump relay (#4 on central relay panel). It uses #28 fuse. The fuel pump does not come on every time you turn the key on, there is a built in time/sequence delay. You might have to wait five or ten minutes, somebody can chime in here as to time delay I am just guessing.
Thank you very much for the very detailed help!

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
I don't believe there is a delay, there is a counter which only allows up to 3 primes between starts.
When the engine starts, the counter is reset. I think you could reset it by disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes.

Is it cranking normally, and not starting ?
Or does it not crank at all ?
Is the battery fully charged ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts