Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I totaled by "beloved" B5.5 Passat about a month ago...:cry:

I've had some mechanical problems for about the past 4 or 5 months, that I have had some difficulty remedying. Mostly do to mechanic misdiagnosis, but some due to myself trying to save a buck or two. Anyhow, the night I finally got her all back together, and thought she was fixed, I wrecked her during my "test drive". :banghead: :cry: (Seriously?!?! Can this be real?!?)

I was traveling down some deserted back roads, then hit the highway on a big loop back to my house. Apparently I was a little too distracted with the radio & then my instrument cluster as all my warning lights began to flash. I drifted too close the the edge of the road, hit some sand and spun out of control onto the shoulder. Came to a stop hitting a sign post. I don't remember at what point the engine shut off, but it overheated and began smoking. Interior filled with smoke as well. (Possibly, mis-deployed airbags?!?):confused:

Only body damage was some scratches down the front and sides, some minor underbody damges, and the rear driverside door that impacted the sign. However the body shop determined the engine was unrepairable, and totalled out the entire car. After removing what I could (stereo system, Xenon lights, body parts, etc), I released the car to my insurance company. Fortunately, they gave me $12,341 for it after subtracting my $500 deductible. So it's paid off plus some cash. :)

I have said recently that I was tired of the car because of all these problems and wanted to get rid of it, and get something else. Which I probably would have anyway, but it finally hit me last friday when I was pulling parts off. This is quite possibly the last time I will ever see my car.... my "baby" is gone... :cry:

The truth is, I LOVED my car... just hated all the problems...
Really... I almost wanted to cry.... (almost!)

Pics of her "last days"

So, she is officially gone! They hauled her away... I'll not be replacing her anytime soon. Determined I'm gonna pay bills and save for a brand new vehicle.

I will still be on PW for awhile, while I have several items I am selling.
But I expect I will be leaving the VW family completely and won't be around as much once all my parts are gone. Will miss my car... and will miss PW as well.

Cheers! :salute: :beer:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
wowsers man you should still visit once a week or so and just check out the off topic section maybe :/ Its sad to see a PW'er leave. Good luck on your journeys. At least post some pics of your new car on here once you get it pwease :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
At least you are safe and can talk about it. Glad to see you, sorry to see you leave. It kind of makes me sad to see people with 2 years and hundreds of posts leave, it is like a huge brain drain of experience and knowledge that goes away. I suspect that in the next two years (10 year old 1998 B5s) will be pretty hard on the community as people owning 10 year old and 7 year old cars will start to transition to new(er) cars. I still really like this community. Hopefully people will come back and visit!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wowsers man you should still visit once a week or so and just check out the off topic section maybe
I jusy MIGHT do that... but I never participated in the off-topic stuff much anyway. I'm on several other forums for various things... and will probably hang out there mostly. Especially for the new vehicle...

I still may make myself available for questions and to help out here and there, but I don't get my PM and post reply notifications for some reason. :confused:

Will probably never have one again, but I still love passats.
I may just hang around for sentimental-sake... we'll see.;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used to own a focus and lurk around in focaljet every week or 2 weeks
I'm probably on about a dozen different forums for ATVs, Fitness, and my probable new vehicle.

CustomTacos, TTORA, and Mostly TundraSolutions.
Can you guess what I'm probably getting? :p
there's no reason not to visit here...i'm driving another car now, but still come here a lot :)
True....

OK, so I won't completely disaapear but the car did...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:cry:

Just not into the B6 Passat?

Sorry to see you go :(
Not really... Brand NEW, I think there's be other cars I'd rather have.
Actually, been wanting a truck for awhile

Car's gone, but I'm not (at least not TOTALLY)...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wanna hear something funny?? Ironic actually...

The sign I hit was an "Emergency parking Only" sign! :hmmm:

Add to that that I only "hit" the sign... I didn't go "through" it.
So when I got out of my car it was still standing!! Temporarily anyway...

Not 2 minutes later the thing fell over all by itself with a "crash"!!! :icon_eek:

"WTF?!?!" Scared the Sh!t outta me, it did! :whistle:

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Wanna hear something funny?? Ironic actually...

The sign I hit was an "Emergency parking Only" sign! :hmmm:

Add to that that I only "hit" the sign... I didn't go "through" it.
So when I got out of my car it was still standing!! Temporarily anyway...

Not 2 minutes later the thing fell over all by itself with a "crash"!!! :icon_eek:

"WTF?!?!" Scared the Sh!t outta me, it did! :whistle:
as sad as that is....
shoulda taken a pic. heh.

what all did you scrap out of the car?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as sad as that is....
shoulda taken a pic. heh.

what all did you scrap out of the car?
The thought occured to me, but it was too dark to take a pic with my camera phone.

Scrapped everything but what is listed here. Oh... and I pulled the stereo way before the body shop saw it. But it ain't for sale. :p

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i'm glad you came away from the whole incident on the upside of things, money-wise and healthy.

good luck with the new car thing. drop in and let us know what you pick up.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
That is a mega-bummer, but it reminds me of one of my father's experiences. He bought a brand-new 1955 Chevy at the end-of-model year sale, and his local mechanic totalled it on a test drive immediately following its first oil change. Their insurance bought him a brand-new 1956, which he drove for 12 years, and on which I learned how to drive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts