Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 Passat B5.5 1.8t 46k miles

Just diagnosed what started out as a ticking noise and has developed into a squawling noise at low rpms to be a shot fan clutch bearing.

From an afternoon's googling on PW, Audiworld and everywhere else in-between I've learned that to remove the bearing is a PIA and that the part is expensive toboot. I've managed to track down an EFK at http://www.vastperformance.com/ which seems fairly economical but I have several questions first.

- how much of the front clip would I have to remove if I were to replace the shot bearing with an oem part?
- how much of the front clip would I have to remove if I simply did an EFK and found a shorter belt to negate the pulley?
-if I've got to remove the front clip - should I do the timing belt or wait another 15-20k?
-any other vendors out there for an EFK?
-if the efk is not a good option - where can I get the fan clutch bearing besides the stealer?

Thanks in advance - Rex

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it's not the viscous coupling - there's quite a bit of play in the fan/bearing. Any vendors for the bearing itself?

Thanks for the info tho.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My fan was sounding like a spitfire taking off. Think the viscous clutch went initially and then the bearing after continuing to drive on it. I could wiggle tha fan by a centimetre or so. got a new fan clutch unit for 50 or 60 quid a swapped it in. Fine now

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I don't think these go too often. Might be worth checking car-part.com for a used part.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your greatest contribution - finding a source for a complete EFK.
People will adore you.
Well I called Evo and they do still stock a kit for $150 but it's not on their website. From what David was saying it's the fan, brackets and wiring to do it - does not contain a serpentine belt or any of that good stuff.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd reccomend the EFK and timing belt at the same time. As the motor will need to go into the service position to accomplish both jobs.
I tied my efk into the a/c fan as it is thermostat controlled and turns on automatically as well as manually with the A/C switch.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Malcolm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts