Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Falken Azenis Sports or Kumho MX's for an autocross tire? Anybody have any input? I'm currently on the last days of my Kumho MX's and wondering if I should stray. I love the Kumhos but are the Falkens any better?

:beer:

·
Registered
336 Posts
can't answer your question-never used those tires, but maybe you should try the wheel & tire forum

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know about Kumho MX's. I've autocrossed both Kumho Ecsta's and Falken Azenis Sports. Both lasted about a year as daily drivers. The Falkens were much stickier for autocrossing. They also seem to be the hands-down favorite in the street tire classes in this area.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AVH said:
I don't know about Kumho MX's. I've autocrossed both Kumho Ecsta's and Falken Azenis Sports. Both lasted about a year as daily drivers. The Falkens were much stickier for autocrossing. They also seem to be the hands-down favorite in the street tire classes in this area.
Almost all of the Kumho performance tires are Ecsta's(just like Bridgestone has Potenza). Kumho has 712,MX's and some others. The MX's are often compared to the Azenis sports. Do you know which Kumho Ecsta's you had?

·
Registered
524 Posts
What size are you inquiring about? I have the Falkens St-115 235/35-19 and they tend to take to the road very well. My buddy is running 205-40-17 Kumho 712 and he claims their noisy but keep in mind everyone has different driving habits in their environment. What? :confused:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The Azenis Sport RT-215 is slowly being replaced by the Azenis RT-615. From what I've read the 615s are a bit better but higher priced than the 215s.

Both are definitely more race oriented than the Azenis ST-115 and probably the Kumho Ecsta MX as evidenced by the low 200 treadwear rating (ST-115 is a 360), though that's not apples-to-apples for the Kumhos.

I'm planning on getting a set of Azenis RT-615 for my Adelaides for autocrossing when my Ziex 512's wear out (if the last three races are any indicator, this should be very soon. :( or :) I can't tell yet). I'm using a set of Votex Swings with Fuzion HRI tires for street driving.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Scirocco78, how ya been? What size are you lookin to get? This upcoming fri and sat I am instructing at Englishtown Nj for the ne Viper club event. The NNJR sets up the autocross course and we do tech look after novices all that stuff. In addition to free lovely catered lunch, as an instructor I can hear myself saying something like "That was great, you are coming along great, there are 2 areas where you can push a bit more, why don't we jump in my car", "what do you drive?", "That Passat wagon over there." "Shit no! Lets jus switch seats." "um, ok um are you sure?" "hell yeah!" And thats how I get to drive cool cars by being a decent autocrosser. Are these tires dedicated entertainment shoes or they gonna be on all the time?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Gregor56! I've been great. I sent you a PM before I came across this post. These are for entertainment only. I just purchased a set of stock Audi A4 wheels really, really cheap. So, I'm sticking with 205 55 16 unless I can get 45's or somthing and go wider without rubbing on the control arms. After a few events on Kumho's they just make way to much noise on the street, besides they'll only last another couple of events if I'm lucky. You should have seen the looks I was getting this weekend. It was great. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I newly installed Falken ST-115 on my Passat with 17" rim, so far it seems to have good traction and silence, but I have to take time to examinate them!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Since these are gonna be fun tires you might want to consider the Yoko a032rs in the hard compound. I have driven on them and they are pretty good plus they should last pretty good.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gregor56 said:
Since these are gonna be fun tires you might want to consider the Yoko a032rs in the hard compound. I have driven on them and they are pretty good plus they should last pretty good.

Will they last sitting for the winter when I pull them out next year? I have a set Kumho V700 from my jetta that didn't like that at all. $140 a piece for one season just isn't right for me.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Hey Gregor,

The a032rs are the soft. a032rh is the hard. ;)

The v700s (Ecsta or Victoracer) should last you 2 seasons. In the winter, throw 'em in garbage bags and keep 'em warm to avoid tread degredation.

Anyways, for street tires, you guys should check out the Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212's. They're new this year, priced around where the old RT-215's were priced, and they've had a couple regional 1st place finishes already. :thumbup: The MX's grip pretty well, but the RT-215's have the advantage of the stiffer sidewall. The RT-615's supposedly have a softer sidewall than the RT-215's as well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stealthx32 said:
Hey Gregor,

The a032rs are the soft. a032rh is the hard. ;)

The v700s (Ecsta or Victoracer) should last you 2 seasons. In the winter, throw 'em in garbage bags and keep 'em warm to avoid tread degredation.

Anyways, for street tires, you guys should check out the Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212's. They're new this year, priced around where the old RT-215's were priced, and they've had a couple regional 1st place finishes already. :thumbup: The MX's grip pretty well, but the RT-215's have the advantage of the stiffer sidewall. The RT-615's supposedly have a softer sidewall than the RT-215's as well.

Good to hear from you again! You still post here even though you don't have a Passat anymore? Hows the 240 doing?

I like the idea of stiffer sidewalls. How warm is warm for storing tires during the winter?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have always tossed the in the basement or now in my new house the crawl space. Now that was a real pain in the butt till I made a teeny dolly to roll em on, I do put em in a trash bag too. Once or twice during the winter if there is a nice warm day I slap em on and spend 1/2 hr getting my rocks off on a few secret back roads I know. But that isn't to teat the tires special, thats to tre ;) at me special

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
scirocco78 said:
Good to hear from you again! You still post here even though you don't have a Passat anymore? Hows the 240 doing?

I like the idea of stiffer sidewalls. How warm is warm for storing tires during the winter?
Yeah, I'm still around to cause a commotion. ;) The 240 is alright. Crashed it into a tirewall last November with hot brakes and cold dryrotted Ecsta V700s, but came out unscathed!!! I've given up on R compounds for the time being, and I'll spend a little time learning how to drive again and some more tweaking alignment settings. Got some suspension work to do, swap some springs, and lower the car a little.

Check out these puppies:

So when you lower your car, you destroy your toe curve because basically your tie rods aren't parallel to the ground anymore. Bump steer will cause your dynamic toe to be about 1/2 of what it was originally. So what these tie rod ends do, with their adjustable shank, is allow you to position the tie rod where it was originally and keep your bump steer in check. Pretty snazzy, eh? $145 a pair tho. :nervous:

Anyways, apparently my coilovers have very little damping at the initial inch or so of travel, so it's pretty bouncy right now. Rear subframe bushings are gettin' crappy @ 150k miles, so I'm about to get some spacers for them to tighten 'em up. LSD goes in next month, which should be really exciting. Other than that, I think I'll spend more time driving and less time modifying this year. I was planning a turbo setup, but really I wasn't ready for the power. Power will come in a year or two, in the form of a V8. :rolleyes:

Oh, back to the original question: Warm is like room temp, or basement temp. Its not really that big of a deal. The garbage bag is much more important.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! I understand the learning how to drive thing and staying away from the r compounds. I feel the same way. The r coumpounds I ran last year just masked my driving imperfections. I have made far more progress on street tires :thumbup: Will I see Stealthx32 at scca evennts this year? How about Gregor56 at Waterfest this year?
Waterfest is still being held at Englishtown right? That is one great motorsports complex!

Bill

·
Registered
752 Posts
You are right about E Town being a great facility. They also have a Road Course in the works and always are looking ahead. I know the Knapp family personally and they are 100% behind motorsports on a grassroots level and we in the metro NYC area all owe them a hearty thanks. I will run at Waterfest if I can borrow some shoes for me to run on, but I will be there just hangin out either way.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan on just hanging out too. Driving five or six hours then beating on my car and hoping it makes back for another five or six hour drive, just doesn't sound like fun to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts