Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car came with this lame fake wood trim around the passenger and driver vents, the center vents, and all around the stereo.

A hair dryer and a few bloody fingernails later and that was gone.

Now what I'm left with is even uglier than where I started.

Glue marks, scratches, definetely not the look I was going for.

I have searched around but can't seem to find stock dash trim kits. They are either wood, carbon fiber, or aluminum.

I want my car to look stock again. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Handsome Andy

p.s. I am not knocking all wood finishes, I have seen some that look great, the aftermarket crap that came on my car was bruuuutal.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Have you thought about refinishing an aluminum set with a low-gloss black paint? Or maybe some kind of technique to give it a smoked appearance?

·
Registered
831 Posts
where do you get the net optik trim kit on the web? i have an 02 GLX w/ climatronic, and i kind of like the net optik trim, dealer is 3+ hrs away, so that isn't very plausible

·
Registered
831 Posts
sure if i could find the net optik on the net... my shift knob and front door handles have cracks in them, the back and the AC are fine from what i can see

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Have you tried using Goo-gone ($4 @ Wal-Mart) or Beinfang UnStik/UnSeal? If it is mostly crap left from the ugly stick-on trim, either will take it off.

Which should you choose? Goo-gone smells like overpowering oranges, and will for a really long time in your car. Probably won't ruin anything, though. Will take a lot of work to get the goop off.

The Beinfang stuff will take practically anything gooey/adhesivey off with no problem, but it is some serious stuff. Don't get it on hands, clothes, etc.

If you knicked stuff trying to take it off these options might not help.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
If you can't come up with a way to get back to stock, go with the brushed aluminum look. Kinda sporty, not ricey...some VWs come with brushed aluminum trim from the factory.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
for net optic call Richie at The Autobarn of Mount Prospect or Libertyville VW and tell them you'd like to place an order in the ongoing PassatWorld Group Buy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
oh... i've seen that thread and it being mentioned in older threads, but i thought it was closed, since it was brought up so long ago... thanks for clearin that up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts