Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently a bunch of cars including mine have got broken into. passenger window smashed and in some cases radios stolen. I was wondering about getting some sort of LED light to make people think I have an alarm, maybe it will make them think twice about smashing MY window. Does anyone have something like this?

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
You should already have one on the driver's door lock, as well as on the (factory) head unit...

In high school, the urban legend/trend was that you could just put a copy of Pink Floyd's "Pulse" in your center console :D

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
So recently a bunch of cars including mine have got broken into. passenger window smashed and in some cases radios stolen. I was wondering about getting some sort of LED light to make people think I have an alarm, maybe it will make them think twice about smashing MY window. Does anyone have something like this?
I thought all Passat's came from the factory with a blinking light on the door lock?

Anyways, after watching a video on YouTube ( I will try and find it) of professional thieves dismantling a Honda Civic in less than two minutes, to a profesional theif, a car alarm is not a theft deterrent. Especially in CA, car alarms are going off all the time, no one pays attention, and by the time you can react your car has already been broken into/stolen.

My advice is to get the windows tinted with film to prevent the window from breaking, but other than moving, there really isn't anything you can do about it..

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Yeah, a fake blinking light will be exactly as effective as the factory one; that is to say, not at all. Best theft deterrent I ever came up with was single-edge razor blades riveted to the back of my head unit (Old Pontiac, stereo came out from the back). I had to clean blood off the carpet more than once, but I kept the stereo.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, a fake blinking light will be exactly as effective as the factory one; that is to say, not at all. Best theft deterrent I ever came up with was single-edge razor bladed riveted to the back of my head unit (Old Pontiac, stereo came out from the back). I had to clean blood off the carpet more than once, but I kept the stereo.
Haha. That's great!

OP - Every car I've ever owned got broken into before I got a garage spot. I live in the Bronx... Best advice I could give you is never let the car parked in the same spot for more than 1 day. They will notice it hasn't been moved. That, and get a good club (although even those can be broken pretty easily so it's more for your piece of mind). x2 on the "alarms don't really act as a deterrent" comment above.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
Yeah, a fake blinking light will be exactly as effective as the factory one; that is to say, not at all. Best theft deterrent I ever came up with was single-edge razor bladed riveted to the back of my head unit (Old Pontiac, stereo came out from the back). I had to clean blood off the carpet more than once, but I kept the stereo.
wow, that's just cruel :nervous:

not only did they break in, they left blood in your car :lol:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, a fake blinking light will be exactly as effective as the factory one; that is to say, not at all. Best theft deterrent I ever came up with was single-edge razor blades riveted to the back of my head unit (Old Pontiac, stereo came out from the back). I had to clean blood off the carpet more than once, but I kept the stereo.
dude! ha! i dont even care about my stereo but it would be nice knowing i sliced the bastards up a little. they can have whatever is in my car (nothing) but i dont feel like spending $200 to replace my window every week...actually i prefer if they just flat out stole my car rather then break into it and leave me calling the glass company.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
i live in Cali and cars get broken into and stolen every 5 minutes.
people dont care if you have alarms.if they see somthing nice they will break into your car one way or another.

and tint wont do shit but hold all the glass on the film so it will be easyer for them to make less noise....making it less challenging for a thief

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
dude! ha! i dont even care about my stereo but it would be nice knowing i sliced the bastards up a little. they can have whatever is in my car (nothing) but i dont feel like spending $200 to replace my window every week...actually i prefer if they just flat out stole my car rather then break into it and leave me calling the glass company.
For a while back in the 70's I drove little roadsters - Fiat, MG, Triumph. I lived in a town some of the east coast members will recognize: Plainfield, NJ. I learned very quickly you don't lock the doors on a convertible. MUCH cheaper to let them rummage around and assure themselves there's nothing of value inside.

·
Registered
586 Posts
the way I see it is you have three options

1: Sell the car and buy some POS, so when they look at it they think "Not worth my time!"
2: Move to a better neighbor hood.
3: Move to a better neighbor hood and GET A GARAGE!

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
In high school, the urban legend/trend was that you could just put a copy of Pink Floyd's "Pulse" in your center console :D
An ex of mine made the boxes for Pulse in her gap year.

True story, random fact, no relevance whatsoever :)

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
For a while back in the 70's I drove little roadsters - Fiat, MG, Triumph. I lived in a town some of the east coast members will recognize: Plainfield, NJ. I learned very quickly you don't lock the doors on a convertible. MUCH cheaper to let them rummage around and assure themselves there's nothing of value inside.
And that is why so many people have old beaters called "Station Cars" as they sit in the train station all day.

Plainfield in the 70's was rough, almost as bad as Newark but in much smaller proportion.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
An ex of mine made the boxes for Pulse in her gap year.

True story, random fact, no relevance whatsoever :)
Small world! I actually just bought that for my dad last year, since he still didn't have it.

I wish we had gap year as a tradition. If you're not working or at university 3 months after graduation, everyone assumes you're a loser. :D

True opinion, random comment, slightly relevant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts