Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I am not opening up the trans at all this time. This is an economy repair. Replacing just what is needed. I plan on keeping the car for about 4 more years while saving up for a B8 A4.

I was sorely tempted to do a manual trans and 1.8T swap, but decided to save my money instead. I came close to a swap when the timing belt let loose, but could not find a local donor car in time.

The exhaust already flows well as it is true dual and does not have a suitcase like the FWD does. The dioded O2 sensors will cure any cat problems for years to come. The pre-cats looked perfect anyway.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That head injury is just more ammunition in the fight to get rid of front license plates in Texas. Ok, maybe it's a long shot.
I was amazed by the access to all the rear engine components. That's why I had to take so many pics of the rear of the engine.
Paul opted not to change his rear main seal. Looking at the picture of the flywheel will tell you that he made a good call. That thing was spotless.
I still want to take a tiptronic apart to see what's inside. If anyone wants to volunteer one, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Monday update:

Got the new O2 sensors in the exhaust. So easy when it is on the work bench. I also dioded the second set of sensors to eliminate the "catalytic efficiency" codes I get every winter. I put the cats on and attached the subframe and trans mounts. I need to attach the suspension, brakes, all 3 driveshafts and the exhaust. Then put the PCV and throttle body back together. Once that is done, I can start the car and top off the trans. I don't think it will take much. Very little came out and I prefilled the TC. I should get some of that done Tuesday after work and running errands and then finish on Wednesday.

With the height of the car on the jack stands (24"), there was no way I would have been able to pull the trans out from under the car on the trans jack if I had left the subframe in place. I could have changed the TC under the car, but I decided to spend a little more time and not take any chances. As it was, we had to roll it through the wheel well to get it out.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
congratz, but still sounds like you have a good argument for installing a lift :lol:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Paul, awesome job! Sorry about the gash on your head from the license plate, tho...

Matt, when my clutch is shot, wanna help? :lol:

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
sure, as long as its a stage 2 and the supercharger goes on at the same time :poke:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
sure, as long as its a stage 2 and the supercharger goes on at the same time :poke:
you're single and loaded, so I'm sure you'll buy it for me, as well as pay for the extra gas mileage I'll be giving up... :lol:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Monday update:

Got the new O2 sensors in the exhaust. So easy when it is on the work bench. I also dioded the second set of sensors to eliminate the "catalytic efficiency" codes I get every winter. I put the cats on and attached the subframe and trans mounts. I need to attach the suspension, brakes, all 3 driveshafts and the exhaust. Then put the PCV and throttle body back together. Once that is done, I can start the car and top off the trans. I don't think it will take much. Very little came out and I prefilled the TC. I should get some of that done Tuesday after work and running errands and then finish on Wednesday.

With the height of the car on the jack stands (24"), there was no way I would have been able to pull the trans out from under the car on the trans jack if I had left the subframe in place. I could have changed the TC under the car, but I decided to spend a little more time and not take any chances. As it was, we had to roll it through the wheel well to get it out.
Paul, you should have just swapped in a manual tranny.:thumbup: And forget those TC problems forever.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Paul, you should have just swapped in a manual tranny.:thumbup: And forget those TC problems forever.
I had been looking at a TDI 6sp, but Ofelia can't drive a stick. That would prevent taking the car on trips as she might need to drive if I break a leg. :poke:

Jay, the manual trans is much easier since it comes out of the bellhousing. The bellhouse to engine bolts are easy to reach once the trans is out

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
I had been looking at a TDI 6sp, but Ofelia can't drive a stick. That would prevent taking the car on trips as she might need to drive if I break a leg.
My 77 year old mother in-law and drives a stick Passat 1.8T. Ofelia just need s a good coach. Come to Snorkfest again and we will all take turns teaching her.:thumbup:

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I taught her to drive. I tried to teach her to drive a stick in my SHO. With her being vertically challenged, 2nd gear was literally behind the seat once she moved it up enough to reach the pedals.

She had the starting and stopping in 1st down quick enough, but her arm could not bend backwards to hit 2nd.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Thursday update:

Got it all put back together. Went to put the belly pan on and I see drip, drip , drip. A nice slow coolant leak from the back of the engine. I never drained the coolant and I only put the intake snorkel, pcv, vac hoses and coolant tank back in place. It is not the coolant tank leaking :banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad:

I will look at it Friday, but most likely just pull it out of the garage and fix it next week. I have too much to get caught up on right now.

I also see nice clean oil leaking from the passenger side valve cover gasket. Only 28K on that one, it's been leaking a few months.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
No, the leak is on the driver's side but towards the center of the engine. I think the CTS on the V6 is mounted in a metal pipe. I think it is the heater hose connection on the metal pipe. It was in the way of the top trans bolt, so it had some pressure on it.

It looks like the leak stopped, it was only 1/2 cup or so. I'll take a look at it today if I feel like pulling the intake snorkel off again. Luckily I left the strut bar off.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I had been looking at a TDI 6sp, but Ofelia can't drive a stick. That would prevent taking the car on trips as she might need to drive if I break a leg. :poke:

Jay, the manual trans is much easier since it comes out of the bellhousing. The bellhouse to engine bolts are easy to reach once the trans is out
Not to thread jack, but is it possible to change an automatic to a manual?

·
Registered
180 Posts
We didn't put that much pressure on that heater hose, did we? Was anything back there strained as the engine was lowered in the back?

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Not to thread jack, but is it possible to change an automatic to a manual?
Generally, it requires swapping the crank or machining the crank to fit the pilot bearing for the manual trans. That is usually the biggest trouble. Other than that, there is a lot of work minor work needed, but it can be done.

We didn't put that much pressure on that heater hose, did we? Was anything back there strained as the engine was lowered in the back?

I figured out the coolant leak. It was the pipe from the lower radiator hose under the intake manifold to the cross pipe in the back. It's the one with the bleeder screw in front. It was leaking where it went into the cross pipe. I had to pull the engine lift tab from that area and mount it on the back passenger head to hold the engine. I guess when I put the lift tab back in place, it pulled the pipe out slightly.

I removed the tab, moved the pipe towards the back a touch and tightened it up. No more leak so far. The test will be when I run the engine in the morning to fill the trans. No time today as I had to cut the grass and now I have to sleep. I get up in 2 hours to go back to work :sleep:

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Generally, it requires swapping the crank or machining the crank to fit the pilot bearing for the manual trans. That is usually the biggest trouble. Other than that, there is a lot of work minor work needed, but it can be done.
OK, so the crank does need to be changed. I thought that maybe you could get away without having to open the engine.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
OK, so the crank does need to be changed. I thought that maybe you could get away without having to open the engine.
They have different part numbers for the manual trans cranks. I don't know if anyone has been able to use the auto crank on a manual, but it is a rare conversion for a Passat. You might have better luck on an Audi Forum as it may be a more common conversion.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts