Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 Passat and the factory wiring was cut. I am having a hard time with the coloring diagram because there is multiple brown wires and one thick one I learned the thick one is the ground, i see the browns also twist with a color. Figuring out which one goes to what is what I’m having a hard time with. I’ve got brown and green, brown and red, brown and yellow, brown and blue. There is two thick red and blue striped wires. So confused.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
You still haven't mentioned which 2001 you have. B5 older body style with the 2 piece headlight/turn signal, or the B5.5 with one piece headlights.

What you should do is buy the reverse harness to make it whole again and then install with a new adapter harness. I HATE when idiots cut the plugs to try and save $10 for a plug and play harness! The below graphic will get you most of the way there. You need a multimeter to test for the power wires with the key on and off/out of the ignition. You probably also popped the fuse for the constant 12V+. By the way, I googled these images. You can do that also. It's faster than asking about it and waiting for a response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You still haven't mentioned which 2001 you have. B5 older body style with the 2 piece headlight/turn signal, or the B5.5 with one piece headlights.

What you should do is buy the reverse harness to make it whole again and then install with a new adapter harness. I HATE when idiots cut the plugs to try and save $10 for a plug and play harness! The below graphic will get you most of the way there. You need a multimeter to test for the power wires with the key on and off/out of the ignition. You probably also popped the fuse for the constant 12V+. By the way, I googled these images. You can do that also. It's faster than asking about it and waiting for a response.

View attachment 98954
View attachment 98953
Thank you, and it’s the B5.5.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thank you, and it’s the B5.5.
And, that wiring does look like it's an 'early' B5.5 - I don't see a CAN pair in there (orange twisted pair.) So, use VAGguy's wiring diagram - looks right.
One point to mention, though - when you're wiring the new radio to the car (I'm guessing that this is the goal, rather than returning the wiring to stock, then plugging in aftermarket?), DO NOT USE the "amplifier turn-on wire" in the car's wiring. That isn't an amp turn-on - it's a diagnostic communication line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts