Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my fuse box cover and in the icons were two symbols that made me think that there is a factory option for a phone. Could this be true?
B5 1.8T

good but can it be hacked!

<![CDATA[I was looking at my fuse box cover and in the icons were two symbols that made me think that there is a factory option for a phone. Could this be true?
B5 1.8T

good but can it be hacked!

[Modified by aufnord, 12:57 AM 11/21/2002]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (aufnord)

I believe this is an option in mexico, and europe. Not avalible state side.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (5150 Pa5.5at)

you're right. that is an "expensive" option here in Europe. It comes to be some 1000 $ / €. And the phone used to be a nokia 3130 (nothing extraordinary).

Don't know which one is available nowdays. But it's not worth. IMO

(check picture included)

Now there is this:

[Modified by luigidf, 10:00 AM 11/21/2002]

<![CDATA[you're right. that is an "expensive" option here in Europe. It comes to be some 1000 $ / €. And the phone used to be a nokia 3130 (nothing extraordinary).

Don't know which one is available nowdays. But it's not worth. IMO

(check picture included)

Now there is this:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (luigidf)

The 3130 is a very low end phone...it's similar to the 3360 that Cingular sells here for their TDMA network...not a great phone at all. It's big, bulbous, and has reception problems, though they've gotten better recently.

Usually, a phone in this class is free with a contract. You can get a Nokia car kit for like $250, so why pay $1000?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (bfalchuk)

I can't see anyone paying $1000 bucks for that setup

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (B5sport)

No way...not worth it. You can get a V60 in a Mercedes for that much, and the V60 is a much better/classier phone. I could see them doing that with an 8000 series phone, but not a 3000 series...that's the second to the bottom of the line for Nokia.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (aufnord)

I forgot who it was, but someone around these parts set up a late model motorola startac using a handsfree kit connected to the monsoon radio, I think. It included dash displays when the phone was docked. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I saw it not too long ago. Was that Ob5ession?

EDIT:
Nevermind. That wasn't a factory setup.

<![CDATA[I forgot who it was, but someone around these parts set up a late model motorola startac using a handsfree kit connected to the monsoon radio, I think. It included dash displays when the phone was docked. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I saw it not too long ago. Was that Ob5ession?

EDIT:
Nevermind. That wasn't a factory setup.

[Modified by Darter, 7:03 AM 11/21/2002]

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (Darter)

Darter, it sounds sweet whatever it was...I want more info!

·
Registered
112 Posts

I think I did not explain well. It used to be 3130, some 2 years ago. Nowdays (the picture was taken from http://www.volkswagen.de yesterday) it seems to be some 6130 or something (don't know equiv. in US) which it is a quite better phone, but I can make you sure of the price. I though the same about it, and installed a OEM nokia kit car.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (luigidf)

The 6130, while better than the 3130, is still a rather plebian phone...the 6X00 and 5X00 are bulky phones...you gotta go for the 7200 and 8X00 series phones for style, size, features, etc...I would never pay a grand for something as basic as a 6100.

·
Registered
87 Posts

In my user's handbook, there is a picture of a phone mounted in the center armrest - with power, external antenna and handsfree mounted at the factory, and ready to go... kind of neat... that might be a good reason to get that option if the phone is a good one.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts

After looking at Ob5ession's site I've noted it's not his I was thinking of. I think the thread I saw about what I described earlier got swallowed up by a black hole. But here's Ob5ession's anyway. It's still quite nice:

Startac Setup

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Factory cellular phone? (Darter)

That garage door opener looks great! I'm all over that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts