Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today is the 10 year anniversary of that fatefull crash that left us with a large loss of one of the greatest and most carismatic drivers in the sport...

They had a nice memorial service today at imola where gerhard berger drove senna's 1978 lotus around the track for 3 laps as a rememberance...

We lost a great driver 10 years ago. We also lost a great person.

·
Registered
745 Posts
yes, my favorite F1 driver of all times. I also remember that day. I a little kid and I watched F1 cuz my dad also watched it. I was also wacthing the race when the accident happend and then later on his death was announced. Awesome driver, when it rained no one came close to him. may he RIP.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
kojack said:
today is the 10 year anniversary of that fatefull crash that left us with a large loss of one of the greatest and most carismatic drivers in the sport...

They had a nice memorial service today at imola where gerhard berger drove senna's 1978 lotus around the track for 3 laps as a rememberance...

We lost a great driver 10 years ago. We also lost a great person.
Nope.....
Senna died 05/01/1994

So the anniverssary of his death will be next saturday......
Dont believe me . google it.

Im not just a F1 fan , Im brazilian too.

This is not the right forum anyway .
So pack your bags we are going to the Anything Auto.....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry....today was the 10th race since his death...he will be sadly missed forever....

im not brazilan....im from Newfoundland Canada......but a HUGE Senna fan too.....It was surreal when I watched that.....

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
kojack said:
sorry....today was the 10th race since his death...he will be sadly missed forever....

im not brazilan....im from Newfoundland Canada......but a HUGE Senna fan too.....It was surreal when I watched that.....
the 10th race at Imola ......

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I remember that day really well, i was in shock. I have been watching F1 for many years and i never thought i would see that day coming. He was one of the best driver that Formula one has ever seen. Not to offend anyone, but he was not my favorite driver :oops: , but definitly one of the greatest. One of his rivals is one of my favorite one :eek:h: . He will always be missed in the F1 world.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I too watched that crash happen live. That was just crazy crazy crazy. He definitely was the driver of the day.

I know that growing up as a motorsports fan I didn't have the Laudas and Fangios and Stewarts and all other great drivers of the past. I had Senna so he'll always be the guy that got me into F1 and kept me in F1.

From what I've read the steering column failed and in conjunction w/ the series of bumps (is that corner Tamborella, or something like that??) caused his car to go off the road. And as we all know, there were no gravel traps so the car essentially hit the wall at full cornering speed. Furthermore, they say that the impact itself did not kill him it was the suspension upright that caused his death, which is a large reason all suspension components now are tethered to the tub. Phenomenal what those cars are built to withstand.

But here's to Senna :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
The cause was the steering column failure, sad day for sure...........and "the professor", Alain Prost was always who i was a fan of, but Senna was an incredible driver, too risky sometimes, but incredible. Then again, you have to take risk in that type or any type of motorsports. Long live his memory!!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
RAH
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing